Thanks to everyone who answered my question about alternatives to study
halls.
Sylvia Jadczak
Madison Area Memorial HS Library
Madison, ME
sjadczak@mhs.sad59.k12.me.us

When we went to block scheduling we dropped all study halls.  We are a
small
school and when half the school is at lunch, the other half has a 25
minute
CHOICE.  Students are able to go to the computer lab, library --with a
pass--or to any of their teachers who are available that Choice.  Some
students double CHOICE and do not eat lunch if they have a lot of work
get done.  It works when teachers make them work, some just let them sit
and
talk and it takes away the true value.  We always have kids in here and
I do
make them work.  Our computers are always in use during CHOICE.  One
disadvantage to no study halls-- when transfer students arrive and they
cannot match up all their classes they have no place to put them.  Ours
end
up here in SHIL, students holding in the library--they use it like a
study
hall.

We run on a four block schedule -- students are supposed to have classes

all four blocks but if they have a free block they are assigned to the
cafeteria where there is a monitor.  Although juniors and seniors can
come
in late or leave early if they have free blocks at either end of the
day.

We have a fifteen minute advisory period (kind of like a homeroom)
between
block 2 and 3 each day.  On Wednesday, we condense the blocks a little
bit
to allow for a 45 minute advisory period.  This is when students are
encouraged to go to the library or do things that they can't during the
rest of their weekly schedule.  We also use this "Wednesday schedule"
when
we have a special event that needs the whole school to be present.

We have very few study halls.  We have a 40 minute advisement period at
the beginning of the day when students can work in the library or go to
a teacher for extra help. the rest of the day is taken up with 80 minute
periods (academic courses meet for 80 minutes every other day). There is
one 40 minute period where mostly music, art and health classes are
scheduled.  Most of the students go home after 6th period - but there IS
a 7th period where students often go to teachers for extra help.  As for
the library - the students come during advisement, and after school and
we also allow them at lunch time.  Other than that, they come in with
research classes.  The 9th grade English teacher also provides time
about every 8 weeks for students to come in as a class and check out a
book for a book report and/or silent reading time in class.  It seems to
work pretty well.  we really like the 80 minute periods for research
because the students can get so much accomplished!

We do not have study halls.  We are on a 6 day cycle amd most classes
(not math or FL) meet 5 out of 6 days.  That extra period is used for
science labs, tutorials, music rotations, peer groups, guidance groups,
etc.  On Wed. we start school 45 min. later and that 45 min. period is
Activity Period.  Clubs meet, some committees which include both
students and teachers meet, etc.  Students' independent time is theirs
to govern.  They can go to the cafeteria, library, computer labs,
tutoring clinics, play frisbee in good weather, etc.  Only seniors are
allowed to leave campus.  This system eliminates "pullouts" from class,
provides time for lots of good support activities and allows kids how to
manage time on their own - a very good skill.

We have no study hall.  Any tutorials are before or after school.  We do
meet once a week with our mentor group.  I have 15 freshmen.

We don't have study halls, and the students have free periods (generally

40 minutes) where they may go to the library (which is also the computer

center) or a department resource center (where the teachers have their
desks, and students can go for help).
It means that the library is generally not silent (usually a quiet
buzz) and it is often at least half full.
There are times when I wish we had study halls, but overall it works
pretty well.
We are small (550 students, 9-12) and a private school.

We don't have study halls and we don't have any other alternative. Kids
fill
their schedule with electives, we have video production, college and
careers, art, woodshop, etc.  That is until we find out the budget
situation
this year. Then we probably won't even have a library!!!

Our school does not have study hall.  Students take 7 classes and a
lunch.  Yes, they graduate with more credits than they
need, but it is better than wasting time sitting in study hall. What a
waste of time!