We don't use AR to develop a love of reading.  We use to help develop
competent readers.  I do all kinds of other reading promotions to deal with
the "love of reading".  We have had school-wide Sustained Silent Reading
here for six years.  We have spent over $200,000 (both state and local
money) in that time to get new reading books in the library and another
$50-75,000 for classroom libraries.  We have a "print-rich" environment
with lots of new and interesting books.  In the last 5 years the average
age of books in the library has decreased by 14 years.  Yet our reading
scores have barely increased.  And we know why.  The kids with low scores
don't read.  They hold up a book for 18 minutes and sit quietly but don't
read.  Some come into class every day a grab a different book off the shelf
and put it back at the end of 18 minutes.  We have tried not to
"criminalize" not reading.  As long as a student does disturb others we
don't refer them to the office.  We needed another tool to track reading
and diagnose problems and AR does that-- if used properly.  I it working
for us?  It is too soon to tell.  But the writing on the wall is clear.
 Test score must rise or the school will penalized.  Kids must pass the
exit exam or they won't graduate.

The kids don't yet believe that last part because they have never been held
accountable for their own learning.  We are desperate to increase reading
scores.  We know that nothing else matters until the kids can read and we
are attacking the problem on multiple fronts.  AR is just one tool we use,
not the total package.  As far as denying kids great literature, almost
every prize winner, honor book, starred review, becomes an AR book.  The
amount of quality literature available in the AR program far out-strips our
book budget.  I have great AR books for every kid in the program and we
don't deny a kid a book they really want to read if it is not at their
level.

Almost every objection I have seen about AR revolves around how it is used
and abused, whether by teachers, parent, students, or administrators.  Over
all Ar has been a plus for the library.  I have much closer working
relationship with the English department.  I talk to more kids about their
reading (problems and successes).  And it has meant more money for books
without diverting existing funding to the program.

----
Tony Doyle, Librarian
Livingston High School
1617 Main St.
Livingston, CA 95334
209-358-2948
tdoyle@muhsd.k12.ca.us
<Http://www.lhs.muhsd.k12.ca.us/library/index.htm>
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture.  Just get
people to stop reading them."-- Ray Bradbury