>Subject: NEWS:  Possible Increase in Federal Funding for Libraries
>Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:57:49 -0700
>

>Congress considers $100 million increase in library funding
>By Corey Murray, Assistant Editor, eSchool News
>April 25, 2003
>The American Library Association (ALA) is leading the charge to reauthorize
>a bill that could pump millions of dollars of additional funding into
>school
>library programs nationwide.

I really, really hope that the recipients (if the money DOES come through)
don't use the New Zealand paradigm .... see the first story at
http://warriorlibrarian.com/index.htm

(Apologies if you have already received this information via another source)

********************************
********************************
********************************
Amanda Credaro
Teacher Librarian
Project Officer (Temporary)
Professional Development and Curriculum Directorate
Phone: 9266 8261
email: abcredaro@ozemail.com.au
*********************************

> [...]
>two-step formula. Initially, each state would receive a block grant. The
>pending reauthorization would double funding for this minimum base
>allocation, from $340,000 to $680,000 per state. The rest of the money then
>would be distributed to each state library association based on the state's
>overall population.
>According to Mamie Bittner, director of public and legislative affairs at
>IMLS, state library associations would be able to use the appropriations to
>support statewide initiatives and services. They also could dole out the
>funds to public, academic, research, school, and special libraries in their
>state by way of a competitive grants process or through cooperative
>agreements.
>Bittner said each state maintains a five-year plan outlining its library
>programs. These programs must support the LSTA's goals, which are to:
>*       Establish or enhance electronic linkages among or between
>libraries;
>
>*       Link libraries electronically with educational, social, or
>information services;
>*       Help libraries access information through electronic networks;
>*       Encourage libraries in different areas and different types of
>libraries to establish consortia and share resources;
>*       Pay costs for libraries to acquire or share computer systems and
>telecommunications technologies; and
>*       Target library and information services to persons who have
>difficulty using a library and to underserved urban and rural communities.
>Now that more libraries are beginning to use technology as a means of
>sharing resources and cataloging data, "a whole new world has opened up,"
>ALA's Costabile said. "You wouldn't think of living without your computer."
>Library funding also would provide schools with technology to preserve
>historical texts and other valuable documents digitally, so they are easily
>accessible and withstand the passage of time. "History is full of dead
>machines that no one knows how to work anymore," Costabile said. "Keeping
>the information and storing it is one thing, accessing it is another."
>Sen. Gregg, who chairs the HELP Committee, said the impending
>reauthorization and its potential increase in funding would position
>America's museums and libraries for the future.
>"Libraries and museums serve as important cultural institutions in
>communities all around our nation," he said. "I benefited from the local
>library in my community growing up, and by reauthorizing this funding we
>will continue to ensure the preservation of our libraries and museums for
>generations to come."
>He continued: "I am also pleased that this bill will coordinate its action
>with the school library provisions of the No Child Left Behind Act. I
>expect
>to move this legislation through the HELP Committee soon and look forward

MSN Instant Messenger now available on Australian mobile phones. Go to
http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/hotmail_messenger.asp