From: Melany Bowen [mailto:mbowen@emanuel.k12.ga.us]
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 9:52 AM
To: Garry Jantzen
Subject: Re: Goering and Snopes

http://www.snopes2.com/quotes/goering.htm=20

Claim:   Hermann Goering proclaimed that although "the people don't
want war," they "can always be brought to the bidding of their leaders."

Example:     [Collected on the Internet, 2002]=20

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders
of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter
to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist
dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no
voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked,
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the
country to greater danger."=20
-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials=20

<snip>
=20

Origins:   Another =20
timely quote in the vein of the apocryphal Julius Caesar warning about
political leaders who can all too easily send the citizenry marching