Does this list mean that no other class would be allowed to read the books
listed on it?  If so, please advise your committee members to read Jim
Trelease's book, _The Read-Aloud Handbook, Fifth Edition_ (possibly
again)----he states that reading books over and over again only help a child
learn the different points that a book can make to a reader throughout his /
her reading experiences and lifetime.  (Making a connection between "text -
to - self"---i.e., Mosaic of Thought by Oliver).  By restricting a book to
only one grade (or group), you limit the reader from the opportunity to
examine the book again at a later date when experiences have changed and
reading perspectives have grown.

Many times children get the idea that once they've read a book, that's
it....let's move on.  If they are allowed to read a book again and again--or
study it again later--they pick up different points of view and different
ideas.  (Heaven help me, I was caught in a the transition between two
schools between the 8th and 9th grade...I read, "Great Expectations" both
years....but Miss Havisham and Pip have always stayed with me!  I examined
them both to death!)

If the entire school selects from a list of titles that will be "shared" and
examined, while allowing for the instruction of other trade book titles in
the individual classroom, then I understand the need to have a "curriculum
connection."  However, this sounds like a restriction based upon some
strange fear...or perhaps simple censorship by committee?

Let the teachers choose books that they enjoy teaching and give them the
opportunity to have a "teachable moment" by including books of their choice
that fit a specific time or event--what happens if something horrible or
something spectacular happens at school?  Will you need to stay the course
and stick with the book list, or can you deviate and choose materials that
show something that allows for joy or healing when it is needed in the
classroom?

It's time for teachers to take control of the classroom again.  I'd vote for
the freedom to choose books based upon an approved list of at least 100
titles (or more) from various lists--Newberry, Caldecott, state awards,
Mildred Batchelder Award, Coretta Scott King Award, etc.

If the committee refuses to allow teachers their choice of materials to
teach in "read aloud," I'd accept their offer of a restricted list ONLY if
THEY read each and every title submitted by the teachers. (Reports and
discussions expected...)

After all, well-read individuals make the best curriculum committees!

...off my soapbox.

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX