A strategy I have been using for several years now in the picture book
section is to put a small laminated picture of a  character above where
those books are normally shelved. I put the pictures on the shelves as I
introduce new characters, books to Kindergarteners.

I also teach them about authors and alphabetical order, but this helps them
browse more effectively in the library and it stops me from having to point
out the Clifford and Franklin books several times in one class. I only do
this for a small group of books, but I try to include all of our favorites.

I have even done this with beginning chapter series that I have shelved
within the fiction section, it just makes it easier for those young students
who are beginning to read chapter books to navigate the new section of the
library. For these I can usually find a visual of the series title to print
out.

I find it easier to keep the library standardized, but to offer pictures
cues to assist students who are still learning to navigate through the
fiction.

Debbie Becker
Librarian
North Broad Street School