Greetings to all in GNLIB and LM-NET:

This is the HIT list of recommended GN titles dealing with
dating/relationship or domestic violence.  Approximately 40
people responed on and off the list.  Overwhelmingly, the #1
choice was "The Tale of One Bad Rat" by Brian Talbot.  The
second most recommended was "The Amazing "True" Story of a
Teenage Single Mom by Katherine Arnoldi."  Other titles
recommended were:

Sparks, An Urban Fairytale by Lawrence Marvit
Mind Riot - Coming of Age - Anthology of stories about
growing up
Pedro and Me by Judd Winick
The Summer of Love  by Debbie Drechsler

A BIG THANKS to all who responed, my English and ESL
teachers were VERY pleased to get the advice so quickly.  I
have picked up "The Tale of one Bad Rat" and "The Amazing
True Story" for my teachers to examine.

Many of you requested that I post the list of my first 100
GN titles. This is the list I send to Diamond Distributors
for my order.
(http://bookshelf.diamondcomics.com/ordering.html) It
contains 138 titles, of which I received 102 in my first
shipment. Apparently, the Marvel products have to be
specially ordered.

Diamond seems like a great group to work with, and were very
knowledgeable when I've spoken with them. (Usual disclaimer
about not affiliated with Diamond, not profiting from, etc.)
They offer a 25% discount off the retail price if you order
direct from them. However, they would prefer that you order
from your local retail store.

Several people have asked how I selected the titles. Read
EVERYTHING you can on GNs. School Library Journal has a
monthly column, as does VOYA. I also went into the journal
databases and searched for professional articles on GNs and
reviews. Read any you can find, there are approx. 20-25.
**These were probably the most helpful because they were
written by the profession, for the profession.**

Talk to your local comic/GN retail store. I didn't find my
local store until after I sent in the order to Diamond. Once
I found the local store, the owner/manager was VERY helpful
and we are working together for a GN display/expo this fall.
I have also been given several catalogs that have been
helpful in selection.

Will Eisner Award books are generally considered to be of
high quality. However, **many** may not be suitable for
schools. (Example: 100 Bullets should NOT be purchased for
schools, but would be fine for a public library adult
collection.) If in doubt, try to get your hands on a title
and examine it yourself before purchasing. A good retail
vendor will help steer you clear of some clinkers.) Will
Eisner Awards
http://users.rcn.com/aardy/comics/awards/eisner.shtml

I have found several web sites that were useful to survey.
Thanks to the various authors for putting in the time to
develop the web sites.

The Top 50 Selling Graphic Novels for September 2002
http://www.solitairerose.com/top500902.html

The Teachers Companion to the Anime Companion
http://www.koyagi.com/teachers.html

The Librarian's Guide to Anime and Manga
http://www.koyagi.com/Libguide.html

Books and Periodicals on Anime and Manga.
http://www.koyagi.com/recBooks.html

Graphic Novel Information:
http://www.geocities.com/mmooney49/webliography.html

Diamond Distributors has anonymous reviews, but they seem to
have been written with schools in mind. They do warn you
when a GN has some element that you need to be aware of,
such as the near-rape in "The League of Extraordinary
Gentlemen."
http://bookshelf.diamondcomics.com/reviews/

Each of the major GN publishing houses has their own web
site, and it usually contains some type of selection
guidance.  It will take a while, but once you find a title
you like, take the time to  look at the publishers site.

Titles:
9-11: Artists Respond, Vol. 1
Akiko series
Akiko: The Menace of Alia Rellapor, Volume 1
AKIRA 1
Archie Americana Ser Best of 40S Vol. 2
Art of Joseph Michael Linsner
Astro Boy Vol. 8
Astro City: Life in the Big City
Bart Simpson's Treehouse of Horror: Heebie Jeebie
Hullasbaloo
Batman Dark Victory
Batman World's Finest Archives Vol. 1
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: The Long Halloween
Billi 99
Birds of Prey
Black Panther: The Client, Vol. 1
Bone Vol. 1 Out of Boneville
BTVS Death of Buffy
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Ring of Fire GN
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Origin
Castle Waiting Vol. 1: Lucky Road
Ceres Celestial Legend Vol. 2 Yuhi
Chobits Vol. 3 GN
Clan APIS
Daredevil Visionaries: Kevin Smith
Deadline
Death: The High Cost of Living
Dragonball, Vol. 1
DV8 Neighborhood Threat
Edge #6
Eightball: Ghost World
Electric Girl
Elektra Lives Again New PRTG
Essential Daredevil Vol. 1
Essential Uncanny X-Men Vol. 1
Expo 2002 Anthology
Fire & Flight: Book 1 in the Elfquest Readers Collection
Flood Novel in Pictures
Forge #6
Futurama O Rama Vol. 1
Geisha
GI Joe Vol. 4
Good-bye Chunky Rice
Graphic Classics: H. P. Lovecraft
Groo and Rufferto
GTO Vol. 6 GN
Harlem Beat Vol. 2
In Shadow of Edgar Allan Poe
Incredible Hulk Vol. 2 Morning After
INU-YASHA
INU-YASHA Vol. 2
Kids Draw Anime
Leave It to Chance: Shaman's Rain
Life in the Big City
Love and Rockets Vol. 7: The Death of Speedy
Love Hina Vol. 6
Mai the Psychic Girl Perfect Coll Vol. 1
Mammer O/T Gods Mortal Enemy
Mars, Vol. 1
Marvel Encyclopedia
Marvels
Marvel's Finest: Davedevil Visionaries
Maus, A Survivor's Tale
Mecha Mania: How to Draw the Battling Robots..
Meridian Vol. 1: Flying Solo
Meridian Vol. 2: Going to Ground
Meridian Vol. 3: Taking the Skies
Meridian Vol. 4: Coming Home
Midnight Nation
Morgana Book 1 Heavens Gate
Nausicaa of Valley of the Wind Perfect Coll Vol. 1
New X-Men
Oh My Goddes!: The Fourth Goddess
Oh My Goddess Final Exam
Oh My Goddess!: 1-555-Goddess
Oh My Goddess!: Mara Strikes Back
Oh My Goddess!: Sympathy for the Devil
Oh My Goddess!: Terrible Master Urd
Pedro and Me
Phantom Vol. 3 GN Treasures of Bangalla
Promethea Book One
Promethea, Collected
Queen & Country Vol. 2 Morning Star
Ranma 1/2 Vol. 1
Real Bout High hool Vol. 4 GN
Sion Vol. 3 Divided Loyalties
Sigil Vol. 3 Lizard God
Simpsons Treehouse of Horror Spooktacular
Sleepwalk and other stories
Spider-Man Peter Parker Return O/T Goblin
Spider-Man Tangled Web Vol. 3
SpyBoy: The Deadly Gourmet Affair
Star Trek Next Generation Gorn Crisis
Star Wars: A New Hope Vol. 1 of 4
Star Wars: Dark Empire
Stranger in Paradise: High hool!
Strangers in Paradise Vol. 6: High hool
Streetwise:Autobiographical Stories
The Books of Magic
The Books of Magic: Reckonings
The compleat Moonshadow
The Golem's Mighty Swing
The Greatest of Marlys
The Hobbit: An Illustrated Edition of the Fantasy Classic
The Inhumans
The Legend of Mother Sarah: Tunneltown
The Superman-Madman Hullabaloo
The Tale of One Bad Rat
The Wizard's Tale
Thunder Agents Archives Vol. 1
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1
Ultimate Spider-Man: Power and Responsibility
Ultimate X-Men
Usagi Yojimbo: Grasscutter
Watchmen
Way of the Rat: The Walls of Zhumar
Wonder Woman: The Spirit of Truth
X-Men Visionaries Jim Lee
Young Justice: A Leage of Their Own
Out there: the evil within
Route 666 Volume one: Highway of horror
Girl Genius Volume 1: agatha heterodyne and the beetleburg
clank
Amelia rules!: In with the out crowd
Fallout
Dignifying Science
Sigil #1
BONE VOL. 8: TREASURE HUNTERS
BONE VOL. 7: GHOST CIRCLES
BONE VOL. 6, OLD MAN'S CAVE
BONE VOL. 5:, ROCKJAW, MASTER OF THE EASTERN BORDER
BONE VOL. 4:, DRAGONSLAYER
BONE VOL. 3:, EYES OF THE STORM
Rose

You might feel that there are some "border-line" or
questionable titles in this list, but these have been
accepted by the faculty and kids as OK, so far.  Your
community standards may vary.

I hope this helps you in your search for GNs. I have just
started in this game, but the kids really, REALLY like the
GNs. As has been reported elsewhere, we have seen kids with
GNs in their hands that would not touch a regular book
unless it was duct-taped to their hands. ;-)  The
low-ability readers have picked them up and our ESL kids
have also found them. Some of the teachers are really
fired-up, and are requesting I purchase more for next year.
This has been a big success so far..

Good luck!
Tim

Tim O'Shaughnessy, LMS
Moline High School
Moline, IL.
timosh@antispammchsi.com (remove antispam to reply)
"Show me a computer expert that gives a damn, and I'll show
you a librarian."
Patricia Wilson Berger (Quoted in Chicago Tribune article,
29 June 1990, Tempo section, p. 1)