Our middle school reading teachers like to give the SRI (Scholastic Reading
Inventory) three times a year.  However, after two years of doing this, they are
finding that the students are beginning to "blow off" the test.  They anticipate
this will become a greater problem unless they practice some intervention.  I told
them that I am sure some of you have addressed this problem.
     How do you keep the students serious about this guage of their reading
fluency?  We've found the test to be extremely valuable for targeting reading
instruction, but it will be worthless if the students don't continue to take the
test seriously.
    I guess this question applies to all the testing we give the students now.
Please share any successful interventions you have in your bag of tricks.  Thanks.
---
Donna Cook, Nacogdoches, Texas :
Teacher Librarian Central High;
District Library Coordinator, Central ISD;
donnacook@lycos.com
936-853-9345 (work)
936-569-2426 (home)

"Books are the holes in the fences of life"--Peg Kehret