    I offer this fyi. I know Leigh slightly, and I certainly approve of hi=
    reading list!
    GraceAnne

    From:               "Leigh Grossman" <leigh@swordsmith.com>
    Copies to:          <swordsmith-list@swordsmith.com>
    Date sent:          Fri, 9 May 2003 14:58:35 -0400

    I'm teaching an online version of my UConn science fiction course this=
 summer, so if
    you know anyone who might be interested in taking it, please pass this=
 along. It's a
    6-week, 3-credit discussion course, and there were still a few slots o=
pen as of this
    morning.

    --Leigh

    ONLINE SCIENCE FICTION
    COURSE
    June 30-August 8, 2003
    University of Connecticut

    Instructor: Leigh Grossman
    e-mail: english217@swordsmith.com

    This course traces major themes and concepts in science fiction
    from the Golden Age writers of the 1930s, through the New Wave
    of the 1960s and 1970s, to the present day. You will read works
    by Asimov, Bradbury, Heinlein, Clarke, Delany, Dick, Le Guin, and
    other seminal writers=97some still well-known and some almost
    forgotten=97and learn about their impact on the field. Mostly, the
    course traces the development and impact of particular ideas in
    speculative fiction, along with the relationship of science fiction
    literature to other genres and other media. The state of the SF
    publishing field today=97including the dramatic editorial and
    demographic shifts of the last 10 years, and some of the most
    important current writers=97will also be an ongoing focus of the
    course.

    READING LIST:
A   Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter Miller
Fool'sWar, Sarah Zettel
The Price of the Stars, Debra Doyle and James D. Macdonald
The Forever War, Joe Haldeman
I,  Robot, Isaac Asimov
StartideRising, David Brin
BladeRunner (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep), Philip K. Dick
Expendable,James Alan Gardner
ModernClassics of Science Fiction, Gardner Dozois, ed.
The SFWA Grand Masters Volume 1, Frederik Pohl, ed.
The SFWA Grand Masters Volume 2, Frederik Pohl, ed.

    To register, go to:
    http://continuingstudies.uconn.edu/specialsessions/Summer_20
    03/index.html
    You will need the following information:
    Class #: 2110
    Campus: STORR
    Dept. ENGL
    Course number: 217
    Section: 921

    ------- End of forwarded message -------GraceAnne A. DeCandido, MLS
    Blue Roses Consulting ~ Writing ~ Editorial ~ Web Content
    New York City ~ ladyhawk@well.com
    http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/gadhome.html

    A few good Italian American books, and 2002 favorites for children
    http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/books.html

    Look upon the rainbow, and praise Her that made it;
        very beautiful it is in the brightness thereof.
        ~43 Sirach 11