POETRY PROJECT from our Chapman Elementary School.

Keep A Poem in Your Pocket by Beatrice Schenk de Regniers was the take
off
point for a wonderful, school wide poetry project. The school library
sponsored "Put  A  Poem in Your Pocket" in April, National Poetry
Month.

Parents cut strips of white art paper about nine inches long. We
trimmed
them to a point at the bottom (like the bottom tip of a pocket), took
pieces of colored paper (4" x  4 1/2 ") and wrapped it around the
pointed
end of the white paper and taped it creating a pocket.

Each grade level was assigned a different color "pocket". During
library
time classes decorated and signed their pockets. The whole school was
doing
a poetry focus because writing was our big thing this year, so kids
were
being exposed to lots and lots of poetry.

Some artistic parents helped me draw larger than life paper
clothes--overalls, shirts, pants, even socks! We cut these out of
colored
butcher paper with lots of details like lace, buttons, zippers.

During the next week I glued the paper pockets to the paper clothes in
alphabetical order by kids' first names. For example, for "A" there
were
three pieces of clothing, a shirt, a dress and pants--because there
were so
many kids with first names that began with "A".

We hung the pocket covered paper clothes on clothesline along the hall
walls. It was very colorful after the pockets were put in alphabetical
order by first name. Kids could stand in the hall and read their poem,
their sister's poem, their friends poem, or any poem! There was a
place for
staff poems and parent poems, too.

We all read alot of poems and it was a visual delight.

(We plan to post some pictures on our web page; go to
http://www.pps.k12.or.us/ and look for Chapman School.)

the poem:
Keep a poem in your pocket
and a picture in your head