Thanks, everyone!
Here are the stories you recommended for my 3rd grader who prefers to
read about dogs.

DOG Stories recommended
That Furball Puppy And Me by Bill Wallace
Upchuck And The Rotten Willy by Bill Wallace
A Dog Called Kitty by Bill Wallace
Watchdog and the Coyotes by Bill Wallace
Kavik the Wolf Dog by Walt Morey
Baree: The Story of a Wolf-Dog by James Oliver Curwood
Kazan: Father of Baree by James Oliver Curwood
Beware of Dog (McGrowl series by Bob Balaban)
It's a Dog's Life (McGrowl series by Bob Balaban)
Lad: A Dog              Albert Payson Terhune--for older readers but I
have seen abridged/picture book version
Champ:  Gallant Collie  (Patricia?) Lauber (out of print--but I know
can get used on Amazon)
Lassie, Come Home       Eric Knight
Star in the Storm       Joan Hiatt Harlow
Hurry Home, Candy       Meindert DeJong
Beautiful Joe           Marshall Saunders (for a little older reader)
the Wishbone books
Judge Benjamin: The Superdog Rescue by Judith Whitelock McInerney
Judge Benjamin: The Superdog Secret by Judith Whitelock McInerney
Judge Benjamin: The Superdog Gift by Judith Whitelock McInerney
Judge Benjamin: The Superdog Surprise by Judith Whitelock McInerney
Tornado by Betsy Byars
The Summer of of Riley by Eve Bunting
  Summer and Shiner by Nolan Carlson (set in Kansas)
  Shiner and Baseball by Nolan Carlson
  Shiner and King by Nolan Carlson
  Shiner's Return by Nolan Carlson
Dominic by William Steig