Dear LM_NETters:=0D
 =0D
I have been a secondary librarian for twenty years.=0D
I have seen budget highs and lows. =0D
 =0D
Lows:=0D
One year all of the aids were cut and we had to read about it in the loca=
newspaper.=0D
One year I wrote a response to a letter to the editor from a person who
claimed that schools just misspent their money. I gave examples of the sa=
state of my library at that time. I was nearly fired--the superintendent =
and
school board did not want anyone to know the truth.=0D
One year teachers got two packages of printer/typing paper each for the y=
ear
 =0D
This year and next are lows also. My budget has dropped 66% in the last t=
wo
years.=0D
I spent three years working half days in the elementary and half days in =
the
high school.=0D
There seem to be more postings of jobs lost this year than in the last
several years.=0D
 =0D
Highs:=0D
 =0D
After new library standards were adopted in Missouri, our district tried
harder for several years. =0D
Thanks to a bond issue I have a new, well-lit library facility that doubl=
ed
the size of the old library.=0D
 =0D
 =0D
Back to Boston Public and budgeting--=0D
I agree. We spend more on sports than any other program. We=0D
are paying our latest coach almost as much as the principal.=0D
One of our girls' PE classes has about 10 students and two coaches to tea=
ch
it.=0D
Two coaches have a plan period and an athletic director hour.=0D
 =0D
Our sports program could not possibly be making money. Despite the expens=
ive
coach our basketball team is not very good.=0D
We do not charge for baseball games.=0D
 =0D
Our district is cutting middle school track and cheerleaders for next yea=
r.=0D
 =0D
How many of your districts have had students become professional major
league players?  We have had two in the twenty years I have been here.=0D
 =0D
What skills are our students going to need in the future?=0D
Dribbling or reading?=0D
Pitching or writing?=0D
Running or balancing a checkbook?=0D
 =0D
YaDa YaDa=0D
 =0D
I admired the principal on Boston Public for pointing out that the teache=
rs
are the heart of the school. We should be all about preparing our student=
for the future, whatever it costs, whatever sacrifices we must make.=0D
 =0D
 =0D
 =0D
Kay Goss=0D