I have been re-reading Information Power in the last few days, and want
to make a fresh initiative to provide library and instructional
technology services that meet the book's call to collaborate with my
faculty in promoting higher order thinking skills among our students.

The problem in Virginia is that we are under a great deal of pressure to
spend our time preparing students for their Standards of Learning exams.
Students cannot graduate without passing an increasing number of the
exams each year, and schools can lose accreditation for not having
adequate student scores.

Most teachers feel that in order to meet the requirements of the SOLs
they must spend all of their time teaching the students rote
memorization of the facts that are indicated to be important by the
standards.

I am sure that many other states have the same problem especially since
this has also become a federal issue.

If you have found ways to successfully collaborate with your teachers to
teach higher order thinking skills using library resources while under
this sort of testing pressure, I would love to know specifically what
you have done.

Please respond to me personally at debwaugh@frontiernet.net , and I will
post a hit.

Deb Waugh