Date:    Thu, 15 May 2003 20:48:35 -0500
> From:    sbrisco <sbrisco021@CHARTER.NET>
> Subject: TARGET:  To Filter or Not to Filter
>=20
> I just returned from a technology staff meeting (this was my first
> invitation to attend the committee's meeting this year--new school).  The
> issue that the technology committee has is with students who play games o=
> the computers rather than using them for research (no, duh!).
>=20
> I witnessed adults arguing two extreme measures that ended up with us not
> solving any problems.  The issues that we face are:
>=20
> *  blocking all Internet access except educational (we choose what we dee=
> as "educational"
>=20
> *  blocking only the game sites, porn sites, purchase sites, etc., based
> upon what "problems" we find along the way with students
>=20
> *  eliminating the Explorer icon from the students' files, so they cannot=
 go
> onto the Internet without supervision
>=20
> *  eliminating the address bar (URL) so that students cannot type in the
> address of a site
>=20
> *  using only online databases that we subscribe to and eliminating the
> Internet for students
>=20
> Each seems somewhat unreasonable and I argued that with proper instructio=
> of all students, a K-12 information literacy program which presents stude=
nts
> with research techniques, guided practice and collaboration with teachers=
 on
> how to utilize Internet resources (including making online resource pages
> that teachers have their favorite websites available for student use), an=
> the appropriate AUP with consequences we can limit some of the problems.
> They argued that "it would take too much training of all individuals
> involved."  (So we let them wander around aimlessly searching for
> information and drowning in junk and games?)
<snip>
> ~Shonda Brisco
> Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
> Fort Worth, TX
> sbrisco021@charter.net

Shonda, *You* appear to be the only one in the room who had a thinking head
on your shoulders. My congratulations, and commiserations.

What your school is doing is what far too many schools are doing with
respect to the use of filtering and other protective technologies. Filterin=
has become the surrogate for the more important activities that are so
incredibly important to help students learn to use the Internet in a safe
and responsible manner and to ensure the effective educational use of the
very expensive technology that has been put in place in schools.

Any school that has to use filtering to stop student online game playing is
a school that clearly has:

FAILED to place sufficient focus on the effective educational use of the
Internet, by failing to provide for the professional development and
curriculum development that is necessary to support such use; and

FAILED to develop an effective Internet use policy that is well-communicate=
to the staff and students and supported by effective supervision and
appropriate discipline.

Tell the students they cannot play games, supervise, catch some students in
the act, pull their accounts for a month, gaming problem should be solved.
But this will not address the larger concerns about the effective
educational use of the Internet.

What happens in schools that fail to provide sufficient professional and
curriculum development is that the Internet is used by students for
"Internet Recess" -- excessive nonproductive use of the Internet on
entertainment and popular culture sites.

Now before anyone jumps on me, I know that creative teachers can use these
entertainment and popular culture sites for very excellent instructional
activities. I do not consider this to be Internet Recess. I also think it i=
good to allow the students to explore the Internet on their own. I really
like Art Wolensky's to allowing students to do this after they have
completed their assignment, but requiring that the students keep a log of
where thy have been and what they saw of interest.

So what it appears your school is intending to do instead of addressing the
*real* issues in a responsible manner is to clamp down on Internet use so
greatly that you will essentially negate all of the reasons for the
investment in the first place.

You are right. They are being irresponsible.

There is a checklist on my site that districts or schools can use to conduc=
a self-inventory of the actions that I believe are necessary to establish a
comprehensive approach to address issues of the safe and responsible use of
the Internet. This checklist is online at:
http://responsiblenetizen.org/srui.html -- scan down the page to district
checklist. As soon as I have the resources, I will be putting my entire
book, Safe and Responsible Use of the Internet: A Guide for Educators
online.=20

"When we fall into the trap of believing or, more accurately, hoping that
technology will solve all of our problems, we are actually abdicating =8A
personal responsibility.  =8A In our minds at least, technology is always on
the verge of liberating us from personal discipline and responsibility. Onl=
it never does and never will. The more technology around us, the more the
need for human touch." [Naisbitt, J., (1984) Megatrends: Ten new directions
transforming our lives.]

Best of luck.=20

Nancy

Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
=20
Center for Advanced Technology in Education
University of Oregon, College of Education
E-mail: nwillard@oregon.uoregon.edu

Responsible Netizen Institute
URL:http://responsiblenetizen.org