Sadly, two nights ago, one of the high schools in my district had a very
serious fire.  The damage was so extensive that the building is completely
closed and will have to be totally rebuilt.  The library, fortunately, was
not in the wing with the fire, however, the books have extensive smoke and
soot damage.  The teacher-librarian is heartbroken as she has worked so hard
building this collection with the meager budgets we receive, not to mention
all her files with all her lessons.  (She is an amazing teacher-librarian
and was just named Teacher-Librarian of the Year for Canada by National Book
Service).  She is hoping that there might be a way to salvage even some of
the collection.  No one will be allowed into the building for the rest of
the school year so the books will be covered with smoke and soot for at
least another 6 weeks.  We have checked the archives to find out if anyone
has been in this situation before, however we found nothing.  If anyone has
any words of wisdom for her about how she might deal with this situation
could you email me and I will forward them on to her.  TIA,

Diane Gallagher-Hayashi
Teacher-Librarian
Stelly's School
Saanich School District (63)
Saanichton, British Columbia
Canada
Diane_Hayashi@sd63.bc.ca
daichan@islandnet.com

"I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a
gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am...I, am a librarian!"
The Mummy