And...thanks again so much!!

oxford is the best -- my favorite place. a plethora of bookstores.
actually, if you go, try to stay in woodstock   home of colin dexter's
mysteries. blenheim palace is there as well as some great little pubs.
if you get a chance to head north, do visit the lakes. they're beautiful
and worth the journey. southhampton is a neat little beach community in
the yorkshires. but these may be a little far given you schedule.
whatever you do, enjoy.

In that case you WILL want to hit the British Museum because they have
some really interesting original manuscripts of Shakespeare's work and
other stuff.
Also, Oxford and Cambridge would be good if you could visit libraries
and the such there.

For history-related day trips, in addition to Canterbury, you may want
to consider Stonehenge and Avebury, and Glastonbury (King Arthur
folklore, holy grail stuff, and remnants of the hugest ever cathedral).
For literature related excursions, in addition to Stratford, you may
want to consider Chawton, Jane Austen's home.

I still recommend the Museum of the City of London, the Tower of London,
and the Victoria and Albert museum, as well as a play at the Globe
theatre and a boat-trip down the Thames. London Walks
<http://london.walks.com> does a nice one-day trip ("explorer days") to
Richmond and Hampton Court with a nice boat trip from Richmond to the
Palace. LW also does a really jam-packed one day trip to Canterbury and
Leeds Castle, which I thought was perhaps a bit too ambitious, but if
you want to cram a lot into one trip, it's good. I just looked at their
site and it seems that Canterbury is all by itself, so maybe that's
good. They have many other day excursions (to Bath, Oxford, Stonehenge
and Salisbury, etc), and the prices include admission and your tour
guide for everything. I definitely recommend them.

This lady has the library connections for what we would call k-12 schools.

As the commonwealth hauled things back from all over the world the
museums in London should be great. I would like to see the new Globe.

SLN UK
Elizabeth Bentley BA MCLIP
Head of Learning Resources
Northbrook C of E School
Taunton Road
Lee, London SE12 8PD
mailto:elizabeth@wardrobe-on-the-web.com
mailto:e.bentley@northbrook.lewisham.sch.uk
Tel: (+44) 020 8852 3191
Fax: (+44) 020 8463 0201
A few years ago when I was visiting family who were living in London we
took a side trip to Oxford, which I loved. There's a small but wonderful
museum there, the Ashmolian (sp ?) Also, Bath was/is high on my list.

One place that really stood out for me was town of Hereford. The
cathedral was in process of renovation so there were exhibits of the
original stonecarvings with examples of the new replacement pieces from
rough block to final carving. It also features the Mappa Mundi,one of
the oldest maps of the world, and the the Chained Library.

--
"Try curiosity!"  Dorothy Parker