I have to confess - the intricacies of cataloging is not my "cup of tea".  =
But - I am really puzzled by this one.  Why is there often no information =
in the book itself, or in the MARC record about the original publication =
date of a book?  Sometimes it is quite significant.  I am correcting the =
works cited list of a 9th grade student who did a paper on Democracy vs =
Communism.  He appears to have based most of the democracy parts of the =
paper on "Democracy in America" by  Alexis de Tocqueville - which was =
originally published (I believe) sometime during the 1830's.  And yet - =
the only publication date in the MARC record is 1972 and in the book =
itself, it lists 1945 and 1972.  There are several errors in his paper =
that can be traced back to the fact that he did not realize when the book =
was written. =20

I discovered these errors in his paper because of some very strong =
suspicions that the paper has been plagiarized, so I was checking the =
writing and the parenthetical citations.  Alas!  We do not have access to =
turnitin.org and none of the paper can be found on the web when I type in =
selections into goggle or altavista.  The paper is written at a very =
competent 9th grade level, and this is a very competent 9th grade student =
- so the suspicions don't come from the level of writing or the students =
ability to understand the book.  I am mostly suspicious because it is =
totally from sources that this library does not own, the sources are all =
"elderly", 2 of the sources are very challenging for a 9th grader (de =
Tocqueville + The Communist Manifesto), and when I type in the title of =
the paper into Google, it comes up frequently in many "paper mills".  =
Still - there is no other proof.  If you have any ideas let me know.

Thanks!

Jacquie

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost"
 J.R.R. Tolkien
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School
Gananda Central School District