Hi,
  I have always closed two weeks early for inventory.  However, this year is
the first time in 19 years that I haven't actually done any inventory.  I
certainly intended to but a variety of circumstances, including technical
glitches and the need to cover/move stuff out of the way for construction,
have conspired to prevent it from happening.  In a way it's been
"liberating" but mostly it's been frustrating because I know there are
probably things missing that I can't ask about, there are probably items
I've been hounding kids for that are in the library somewhere (probably
misshelved by someone).  I know this because I've found a few in
shelf-reading (and weeding).  Unfortunately there's only been time to do
part of the collection.  It's not about "counting" (the computer does that
part) nor even about "order" (although when I'm done it's probably the only
time everything IS in perfect order).  It's about having a well organized
and maintained collection.  Once everything's inventoried and in order I
have a better of idea of what we need and what we need to eliminate.  Not to
mention, I'm still trying to get some stuff back and tomorrow's the kid's
last day.
  What's really put a different perspective on things this year for the
teachers (who have actually always been pretty understanding and I do let
them keep things until the last day even when it's enough science books for
their whole class) is that they have basically been put into the same
situation.  No, they don't have to "count" but every teacher in our building
will be changing classrooms next year but since the new addition isn't
finished, teachers in our "outlying" building and portables, as well as
those in the "old" part have to pack everything up and label every box for
storage in an existing classroom in the "old" building.  They are to have
all this done by tomorrow morning.  It's been pretty amusing listening to
them all complain about having to do this while they still have students.  I
think it's going to make them a whole lot more understanding when I close
down in the future.
Just my thoughts on the subject.

Joanne Proctor, Librarian
Most Pure Heart of Mary School