I am asking this only of librarians who circulate textbooks through their =
libraries.
This is the first year we have used TextLink, and the first time we are =
getting texts returned at the end of the year (of course).
My staff is up in arms as I have asked them to have kids return their =
textbooks 1 =BD weeks before the last day of school so that our office =
staff can send letters and bills re outstanding books. Of course most of =
the teachers want to use the books as late in the year as possible. We do =
not have a central depository for storage so they must keep books in their =
rooms and few have locked storage so they would have to cover them with =
butcher paper to at least keep dust off of them (and reduce the liklihood =
of books being taken).
It seems to me that teachers should have their books as long as possible, =
and we will have to sacrifice parents knowing by the last day (by mail) =
which books are still outstanding. (Library books are all due June 4, with =
exceptions made as needed--till the last day.)
Any suggestions for tactics at this point--tell the administration that we =
can't get books in as soon as they'd like if they expect instruction to go =
on as long as possible? Or?=20
(I predicted this dilemma, but thought we'd be able to find a compromise. =
Many of my staff are adamant that this is untenable and they liked it =
better when they had more control over text circulation with their various =
card checkout systems. This has worked smoothly through the year with =
withdrawals and short-term text checkouts. Perhaps the only real dilemma =
is whether the expectation that kids and parents will know what books are =
still outstanding by the last day is unrealistic.)
I need your suggestions and comments. Many thanks.
Margaret

Margaret Wuersten, Librarian
Aylen Jr. High
Puyallup, WA