Date:    Sat, 24 May 2003 15:05:09 -0400
> From:    Paul Swan <pswan1@SYMPATICO.CA>
> Subject: Blocking unwanted programs!
>
> We are having problems with students downloading MSN Messenger and =
> various games from the Internet via the school network. As you can =
> imagine this is causing quite a few problems as students are too busy =
> chatting with their buddies and/or playing games to concentrate on the =
> lesson at hand.=20
>
> So, is there anything out there to block these types of programs? How do =
> you folks deal with this problem on your school networks. We have an AUP =
> but the kids are still wasting bandwidth and class time.
>
> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Does your AUP specifically restrict this kind of activity?
Have you educated your students about the provisions in your AUP --
especially focusing on the reasons for the rules?
How are you enforcing your AUP?
To effectively enforce an AUP requires effective supervision, which is
enough supervision necessary to identify students who are misusing the
computers/Internet.

If the students know that rules mean what they say and that if they violate
the rules they will lose Internet access there will be significantly greater
compliance. This approach teaches them internal control. It focuses on the
development of personal responsibility.

In the very near future, many of your students will have access to wireless
PDA's that will enable them to chat and play games on their own device. This
will not clog up your bandwidth, but is still a distraction from school
work. How are you going to handle this?

Nancy

Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.

Center for Advanced Technology in Education
University of Oregon, College of Education
E-mail: nwillard@oregon.uoregon.edu

Responsible Netizen Institute
URL:http://responsiblenetizen.org