Hi all.  With all of the talk about inventory, I thought I would add in
today's experience.

I work at two school.  One school has inventory almost finished, and just
trying to get all the books/textbooks that are STILL checked out back.  Not
overly stressed over this school, but will be there Thursday to try and
figure out where my assistant has left things.

OKAY, now why I feel inventory is a four-letter word, or that computers are.
I'm not sure which at this stage of the evening.

I was last at this school a week ago.  When I entered today, NOTHING HAD
BEEN DONE BY THE ASSISTANT (different one from other school) OR THE PARENT
VOLUNTEER!  Okay.  That is par for the course, and my assistant WAS probably
working on computer problems on those other days.  AND probably 2 very long
days will get it done. HAH!!!  The computer I was using for inventory was on
a cart.  The library was OVER 80 degrees (a/c was a budget cut).  But I got
near 3000 items inventoried BEFORE the hard drive went out.  STRESS!!!
Okay, we can deal with it.  We will just switch it out with MY computer.
Okay, not a hard proposition--except my assistant had to do it, since I
injured by ribs, and can't lift over 5#s.  Okay.  Up and running on a cart.
Did a bit, but decided it was TOO hot at 4:30, so would go home and get a
good dinner, and cool down, and work 1-2 hours this evening.

YEAH RIGHT.

Went back, and worked about 15 min, and then BLAM, THIS computer freezes and
wont reboot.
That ended that.  Went home and got on the computer so that I could write
the tech support a HELP message.  Okay---1/2 of the inventory still needs to
be done.  The two circ computers are both down. My assistant who is the
computer tech for the school will be out all day tomorrow.  Probably the
tech support people will also be at the meeting.  I have only 5 more kid
days to get over 150 items back, and CANT check in or check what is still
out.

OHHHHH I cant wait for June 6 when I am out for the summer.

Inventory--huh. I am NOT excited about it at all.
(Ohhhh, if I can't do inventory, then I can't be expected to do reports to
the principal, can I???  May THIS is a blessing.)

JaKay Greer
Teacher-Librarian
Damascus / McCarty Middle Schools
Gresham, OR