Karen asked:  "Wow. What could you say about cancer to a kindergartner that
wouldn't be scary?"

From personal experience - I am a cancer survivor (almost 8 years) and
mother of 3 boys.  When I was diagnosed they were 15 mos., 6yrs, & 7yrs
old.  Many people thought we shouldn't tell them I had 'CANCER'.  These
were often people who had lost loved ones to cancer.  My husband and I
chose to tell them the truth and answer the questions they had as best
possible.  We did describe the cancer as being a 'rotten spot' that needed
to be removed before it spread and caused more damage.  Not unlike a cavity
on a tooth, rust on a car, or a decayed spot on a tree.  They asked
questions a little at a time and we answered as honestly as possible. It
worked well for us.  Since then my children have been good support for
friends who have parents or siblings with cancer.  This past year they had
to deal with the long illness and then death of a dear sunday school
teacher from cancer.  Her death didn't hurt any less but they were able to
show their caring and concern in their actions throughout her illness and
reach out to their classmates who were scared.  It made me very proud of
them.  They are not afraid of people with cancer, they do not assume they
will die (though they have know some do), and they know it is not contagious.

 It is very important to remember that MORE people SURVIVE cancer than die
from cancer.  Cancer is no longer the death sentence it used to be.  I have
found that many people do not realize this and remain very scared of
cancer.  My cancer disrupted our lives for a year with multiple surgeries,
repeated trips to the emergency room, and many doctor's appointments.  The
silver lining is that my family is stronger and our priorities have changed
for the better.  I am glad I was honest with my children and didn't talk
down to them.  Just my two cents worth (or maybe we are up to a nickel now!)

Narda

Narda Laclair
Library Assistant
Essex High School