Hi,
     This year in a pre-research paper context I included the
following site from Burger King:
http://www.burgerking.com/CompanyInfo/onlinepressroom/release.asp?id=249
It is fairly easy to locate explanatory information concerning its contents
(April Fool's), but it presents students with the following question:
          How can a strange-sounding idea be part of a legitimate website?
 Before we started the website evaluation exercise, we told the students to
concentrate on their thoughts and beliefs involved in backing up their
opinions, and, secondarily, in the legitimacy of the content.  We had
engaging discussions later, with many volunteering their answers.  We also used
the velcro website(the authentic-looking graphs threw
a few students), as well as legitimate ones.  I stressed before and after the
lesson that I was not trying to trick anyone -- just wanted them to have
an opinion and be able to back it up.
    I've appreciated reading others' thoughts on this thread, because I am
working to improve my website evaluation lesson!  Doing such a lesson
really drives home the fact that books contain more in-depth information!
                          Mary Weyant, Librarian
                          Jefferson High Ninth Grade
                          1209 Shenandoah Jct. Road
                          Shenandoah Jct., WV