Netters,
Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for
help. Here is the requested HIT after my original
post:

“I have a student doing research that needs a map of
the caves in the United States. Can someone point me
in the right direction? I can't seem to find a map
that covers the sites for her to print out. I would
appreciate any help I could get for this student.”

Hi- You might try The virtual Cave Website at
www.goodearthgraphics.com
This will bring you to the homepage- Just click on
Virtual caves--Hope it helps

I don't know a site online, but try the National
geographic society, National geolocial survey or
the closed depository library to you. They may
have something.
I just looked at the second site - National Caves
Assn. and their web site - cavern.com/caves has a map
of the US with states highlighted that have caves.
Hope this helps.

Maybe your teacher would be interested in this
site.........
http://www.nps.gov/ozar/skindeep.htm
The only map I found was this one........
http://www.caves.org/pub/journal/PDF/V61/v61n3Culver.pdf
but this is hardly suitable for a third grader.This
purports to have cave
maps.................
http://teacher.scholastic.com/lessonrepro/lessonplans/theme/caves03.htm
but..............I did come across a new meta search
engine...........http://www.ithaki.net/indexu.htm
which has a separate "kids" search section, but I
still turned up nothing useful.If somebody does find
anything appropriate for a third grader, I be
interested in the web address.

The US Geological Survey seems an appropriate place
for your student to start her cave map search.  (or
they might be able to direct her
further to a more appropriate place.)

http://www.usgs.gov/

Hi Diane
you could see this sites -
http://interactive2.usgs.gov/learningweb/teachers/explorecaves_america.
htmhttp://cavern.com/caves.htm
http://www.caver.net/megalink.html
hope this helps

try this:
http://interactive2.usgs.gov/learningweb/teachers/explorecaves_america.htm

Most of the caves in the US are operated by the
National Park Service.  You may be able to get some
maps from their website www.nps.gov or
maybe they will mail you some for educational
purposes.  I know that I have
purchased maps of cave systems when I visited them.  I
lived near
Mammoth Cave for about 10 years and visited it often.
It is the largest
cave system in the US.  I have a framed map of the
whole "known"
system--it is still being explored and expanded.

Thanks again for all your help,
Diane Whitney
Greenbrook School Library Director
Hanover Park, IL