To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
From: Megk@frontiernet.net
Date: Nov. 1, 2003
Subject: Elem library fall reading promotion

I am sending the answers I received from my request for help
in formulating my plan for our fall reading promotion,
Discover a Treasure in a Book. An enthusiastic teacher will
be our kickoff speaker, Captain Book, at the book concert.
He is looking forward to his presentation. He will be
reading The Reading Mother by Strickland Gillilan. I love
it.
Thanks to all who sent the following comments and helpful
hints.    Meg

Hi. How about Edward and the pirates which is a sequel to
McPhail's other book (the title escapes me) about Edward
taking a Christmas Eve trip with Santa in his sleigh and
reading the list of children for Santa who has lost his
reading glasses?

The first thing that came to mind was the poem I use with my
Child Development students when I introduce the importance
of reading aloud - The Reading Mother by Strickland
Gillilan.  The poem can be found at the following link
http://poetryarchive.bravepages.com/EFGH/gillilan.html

Get a fake parrot to sit on his shoulder.  Maybe the pirate
sould have trouble reading and the parrot could help him
over the hard words.

try this site for vocabulary.... maybe it will help
http://www.geocities.com/marciateach/shivermetimbers.html

how about Polly wanna book? "There be reasure in them thar
books" etc.
The site above also has pirate poems/ This site has
"bookaneers"
http://dcls.org/pirate/

Here's a suggestion:

    The Reading Mother
I had a mother who read to me
Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea,
Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth,
"Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath.

I had a Mother who read me lays
Of ancient and gallant and golden days;
Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,
Which every boy has a right to know.

I had a Mother who read me tales
Of Gelert the hound of the hills of Wales,
True to his trust till his tragic death,
Faithfulness blent with his final breath.

I had a Mother who read me the things
That wholesome life to the boy heart brings -
Stories that stir with an upward touch,
Oh, that each mother of boys were such!

You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be -
I had a Mother who read to me.

       - Strickland Gillilan

There is an essay on reading titled "Digging For Treasure"
by Lloyd Alexander
in an old issue of Cricket magazine. I do not know the issue
but it really is
a "treasure."

How about an easy version on Peter Pan? I know I have one of
the easy readers titled Peter Pan and Captain Hook.

A perfect book for the younger students is Edward and the
Pirates by David McPhail.

There is a poem in Shel Silverstein's Where the sidewalk
ends called "Captain Hook"
It is a silly little piece with a line something like
"Captain hook must be careful when he scratches his nose,
captain hook must be careful when he picks his nose" it
basically describes the difficulty of having a hook where a
hand should be. Perhaps your pirate could comment on how
much safer books are than hooks?

How about something about getting "hooked" on reading?

Not an answer to your question, but I hope that you'll
include THE SEA CHEST as one of your treasure books that you
share with kids!!

Thanks again for all your help.

Meg Kinnally
Paul Road School Library