Dear Carol
I have to disagree with you and others, sort-of, regarding Goosebumps.

I do have a large collection of Goosebumps in my collection, but they were
purchased when the series was at its peak and the boys, especially loved
them.  And that's all the reason I need.

I want my library to be a place where every kid can find something that they
enjoy reading, not just a place of "really good literature" that sits on the
shelves like a row of retired soldiers.  That's not to say that all I have
is pulp fiction, but if that is the bait, then so be it.

Each year, the Australian Children's Book Council has its awards and there
is much hoo-haa made about these during Book Week.  But often, the books on
their shortlist are not on my shelves because I have not bought them for
whatever reason, and those that are, sit on the display lonely and sad,
whilst their 'less literary' cousins go out the door all the time.  Series
are extremely popular here - thanks to Goosebumps - and I just love hearing
the kids talk to each other about them and what the latest is, and
suggesting new titles.  That, to me, is REAL book talk.

Mind you, I am in a school with a wide range of ethnic and cultural
backgrounds, socio-economic groups and consequently, different value systems
regarding education and reading.  It's hard to find something for everyone.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher-Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School