I was shelving and humming, and this is the result. Just goes to show you can't
leave me on
my own in the stacks for too long!

The Ballad of Melvil Dewey (to the tune of Ballad of Davy Crockett)
From the twisted brain of Gayle Hodur – use and enjoy!!

There was a man named Dewey, Melvil was his name
Classification was his favorite game
Working around books was the place he liked to be,
So he got him a job at the li-buh-rar-eeee.

Chorus:
Melvil, Melvil Dewey,
King of the Wild Book Stacks!

Libraries back then were wilder than the West.
Librarians filed books however they liked best!
There wasn’t any system – that just wouldn’t do,
So Dewey made it easier for me and you.

Chorus

He gave each book a number – that was pretty smart!
He filed them by their topics, such as “sports” or “art.”
Just learn the numbers of the topics you would like to see.
The books will be right there in their own category.

Chorus

Three digits do it nicely, as sweet as apple pie,
But there are always times when you might want to classify
Some things in tighter order, and that is when you need
That decimal, that Dewey “dot”, to get you up to speed.

Chorus

After the decimal, some other numbers run.
How many? There could be a lot, but I think two is fun.
If you have a lot to classify, there might be more than three,
But a lot depends on how precise you really want to be.

Chorus

So now you know the story, and I swear it’s true,
Of how Dewey made things easier for me and you.
If you know all of your numbers, from zero up to nine,
Then you can use his system, and you’ll do just fine.

Chorus