Two comments --

Some presenters such as myself and Jacqueline Briggs Martin posted
our extensive handouts on our own webpage so they would be available
for others as well as the AASL participants.  So if any of you wish
to have the collaborative materials that accompanied our presentation
"Involving Communities in Building Readers (and Writers)" you may
want to check out http://www.mcelmeel.com/curriculum/handouts.html  --

Now my second comment -- Our handouts in no way provide you with a
substitute for our presentation which is by its nature a unique
presentation of ideas related to the title.  We do not write out our
presentation and reproduce those notes.  Even if we did you would
still miss the flavor of the comments, the opportunity to ask
clarifying questions, to enjoy the side jokes, and so forth.
However, what you are able to have access to are the collaborative
materials we have developed to support our comments.  For example, we
may have had a dialogue about the use of family stories -- and to
accompany that we have posted a bibliography of books that would
provide collaborative readings to support the activities we suggest
for that particular focus.  These are assists for those people that
have benefit of our comments during the hour long presentation.
However, it is probably true that many people will be able to use the
handouts and devise their own ideas for creating activities, reading
programs etc. and that is why we post our materials.   We hope that
many people will find some value in the material we have posted both
on this page as well as throughout  the site.

Sharron

p.s.  I have an online children's literature course (University of
Northern Iowa) and the students have recently posted some illustrator
units/study guides that you might think are helpful
http://www.mcelmeel.com/curriculum/resources.html

AND the same class is having an online chat with author Carol Gorman
http://www.carolgorman.com tomorrow evening at 7:00 p.m. CST.  We
could allow a few more into the chat room so if anyone wishes to be
invited to the chat room send me your AOL Instant Messenger screen
name by 2:00 p.m. CST tomorrow afternoon.  If you have an AOL account
you already have a user name -- it is your screen name; if you don't
you will want to go to the http://www.aol.com and download their IM
software and sign up for a screenname that you can send me.  Please
make sure to include your full message, location, and school when you
send your screenname.

At 08:18 PM -0500 11/5/03, Josephine Dervan wrote:
>  2.  HANDOUTS   AUDIO
>RECORDINGS
>
>  Handouts from sessions at the AASL 11th National
>Conference
>  will remain accessible by conference attendees only
>until
>  December 1, 2003. As of December 1, the handouts will
>be
>  moved to the AASL Conference Archive, where they will
>be
>  accessible by all current AASL members.
>
>  Audio
>recordings of select sessions are available for
>  purchase on audio
>cassette and MP3 CD-ROM. You can order by
>  mail or order
>online.
>
>  To access the handouts and for audio recording
>ordering
>  information, visit the conference Web site at
>  http://www.ala.org/aasl/kc

Sharron L. McElmeel
Writer/Webkeeper/Educational Consultant
McBookwords -- http://www.mcelmeel.com