OK I have to say this, as a teacher in an online program in
children's literature.
Yes, learning online is different. But it can be not only as effective
but sometimes more intense. It was Kay Vandergrift who brought
me to online teaching, and she who helped create the program at
Rutgers I so happily teach in.
I wrote an article about the work of online teaching,  "A Particular
Intensity: Teaching Children's Literature Online" in the May/June
2002 Horn Book.
The program, a certificate in children's literature and technology, is
described at
http://www.scils.rutgers.edu/programs/pds/litandtech.jsp

GraceAnne

The honorable Dr. Allan O'Grady Cuseo inscribed the following on 6 Nov 2003

> I don't want to start an hornet's nest of chat - BUT, I
> can't imagine any Doctoral program worthy of its name that
> was online.  So much of my program depended on the daily
> interaction between professors and students - and, yes, I
> know there is email and virtual learning, etc. However, I
> stick my by belief. I don't believe I would be the person I
> am today without Professor Jane Anne Hannigan and Professor
> Kay E. Vandergrift.
>
> Allan
> Columbia School of Library Service, 1988 (YEAH)
>

> Dr. Allan O'Grady Cuseo
> Bishop Kearney High School Library
> 125 Kings Highway South
> Rochester, New York 14617
>
> 585-325-4000 x231
> 585-342-4694  (FAX)
>
> library@bkhs.org
>
> Education in the tradition of the Christian Brothers
> FAC OMNIA BENE (Do all things well)
GraceAnne A. DeCandido, MLS
Blue Roses Consulting ~ Writing ~ Editorial ~ Web Content
New York City ~ ladyhawk@well.com
http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/gadhome.html

New Jobs for Old: Librarians Now, written for ARL
http://www.arl.org/diversity/leading/issue14/newjobs.html

Writing is exciting, and baseball is like writing.
    You can never tell with either how it will go.
    ~Marianne Moore