Sarah -

I totally agree with you.  You have to always be participating, rather than
just listening or adding a 'me-too' in an online class.  I find these classes
to be much more intense than regular classes would have been.  It also forces
you to go out and explore the area around you for the resources you need, they
are not all right at your fingertips at the university.  Certainly the online
environment has forced me to learn a lot about technology, and about the ins
and outs of many computer programs that I never would have needed in a
face-to-face classroom.  I also find that it is much easier to figure out how an
unfamiliar program works since I am so comfortable with the computer/online
interfaces.  Yes, there are certainly some advantages to being at the campus, but
there are also advantages to the online environment.  For those of us unable to
attend classes at a regular university, this format has opened up opportunities
we would not have had even a  short time ago.  In the end, it is our students
who will benefit by our continuing education, as they are the ones who will
be directly affected by how their LMS runs the program at their school.  I am
currently finishing my Master's degree online, and hope to someday be able to
get my Doctorate degree in a similar manner.  How comfortable you are with
either type of program probably has a lot to do with personality, but I certainly
don't feel I am learning less, or being challenged less, than I would be in a
regular classroom environment.

Vivian

Vivian Cisneros
MLIS student, University of North Texas