Greetings:

I need some of that great LM-NET expertise, networking, and
advice.

One of our Special Ed. teachers (Renee)  came to me today and
asked about the concept of keypals.  It seems she heard the
phrase at a conference and didn't quite understand what it was.
As I explained the basic concepts, Renee became quite excited
about the possibility of her small class (~10 students) becoming
keypals with another special ed. class.  She feels that it might
be interesting for the kids, and they  would be practicing
writing, composition, spelling, keyboarding, etc., etc.  (I have
not yet broached the topic of using Gaggle or one of the other
"relatively protected" email services.)  Renee specifically
stated that she wants another special ed. group for the keypals.

I've done a search but haven't found anything in the professional
literature on this topic.  Perhaps it's being done, but it is not
documented in the bibliographic databases I can access (First
Search, NewsBank, SIRS, ERIC)

Here are the questions:

?   Do any of you currently have or know of a special ed. class
communicating with another special ed group via email?  What have
been your successes and pitfalls?  Any hard-won advice?  Anything
we should definitely do...or NOT do?

?   Could you ask around and see if any of your special ed.
teachers might be willing to try this project?  If anyone
responds, I'll get both parties in contact with each other and we
can see what develops.

Who knows, this may be the start of an interesting article for
publication, especially since there appears to be nothing in the
databases.    ;-)

Respond off list and I'll get back to you quickly.  Note the
anti-spam feature when replying!

Thanks,

Tim O'Shaughnessy, LMS
Moline High School.  Moline, IL.