Netters,

With more intensive look into our own catalogue and a little help from my friends
on LM_NET, this is a list of novels that incorporate scientific concepts that could
be used by a grade 9 class, with varying reading levels=2E  There are a few authors
that seem to really fit this bill:  Michael Crichton, Robin Cook, Isaac Asimov,
etc=2E  I'm sure there are many more books that would suit this category, but we
now have a long enough list for our purposes=2E  Thanks to everyone who offered
suggestions=
=2E

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
Cloning Miranda by Carol Matas, cloning
The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer, cloning
Timeline by Michael Crichton, time travel
The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton, virology
Mr=2E Was by Pete Hautman, time travel
Transall Saga by Gary Paulsen, time travel, adaptation to environment
Ender=92s Game by Orson Scott Card, genetic engineering
Redwork, by Michael Bedard, alchemy
Spil, by Chester Aaron, environmentalism
Big Burn by Lesley Choyce, environmentalism
Justice of the Dagger by James Watson, environmentalism
Eva by Dickinson, organ transplantation
Dreamweaver by Louise Lawrence, pollution
Site Dreams by S=2EM=2E Longbottom, pollution
Spud Sweetgrass by Brian Doyle, pollution
Let a River Be by Betty Sue Cummings, pollution
The Last Precinct by Patricia Cornwell, forensic science
Fantastic Voyage by Isaac Asimov
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
The Ancient One by T=2EA=2E Barron, geology
Phoenix Rising by Karen Hesse, nuclear energy
When the Wind Blows by Raymond Briggs, nuclear warfare
Doomsday Plus Twelve by James Forman, nuclear warfare
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller, nuclear warfare
On the Beach by Nevil Shute, nuclear warfare
Losing Joe's Place by Gordon Korman, surface tension, wave refraction
Postmortem by Patricia Cornwell, forensic science
I, robot by Isaac Asimov, robotics
Mortal Fear by Robin Cook, genetic research
Coma by Robin Cook, medical science
Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel, bats
Firewing by Kenneth Oppel, bats

The Weirdo by Theodore Taylor
At Risk by Alice Hoffman
Fantastic Voyage II by Isaac Asimov
Mutation by Robin Cook
Wildside by Stephen Gould
Mount Dragon by Douglas Preston
Blueprint by Charlotte Kerner
The clones by Gloria Skurzynski=2E
Fire-us #1: The Kindling by Jennifer Armstrong
Fire-us #2: The Keepers of the Flame by Jennifer Armstrong
Fire-us #3: The Kiln by Jennifer Armstrong
Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat  (NONFICTION)
Who really killed cock robin? by Jean Craighead George
Things not seen by Clements
Dr=2EFranklin's Island
Boy who Reversed himself by Sleator
A Bone From a Dry Sea by Peter Dickinson, archeology, paleontology
Seedfolks, Paul Fleischman, horticulture
The Great Wheel by Robert Lawson, simple machines, physical science
The Schernoff Discoveries by Gary Paulsen, atomic structure
The Great Interactive Dream Machine by Richard Peck, computer technology, time
trave=
Skellig by David Almond, evolution
Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson, chemistry
Night of the Twisters by Ivy Ruckman, tornadoes
The Big Burn by Jeanette Ingold, fire fighting, forest recovery
Hoot by Carl Hiaasen, environmentalism
Angela=92s Aliens by Janet Taylor Lisle, NASA UFO=92s
There=92s an Owl in my Shower by Jean Craighead George, biodiversity
The Music of Dolphins by Karen Hesse, marine biology

Amy Johnston
Library Technician
Swift Current Comprehensive High School
Swift Current, SK, Canada