Several of you requested a hit, so here is what I have received so far.  If
I get more comments later I'll post a second hit. The research I did let me
to look seriously at the Sony SCR-TRV18 or 19 (newer version). Now I'm
trying to find the best deal. I hadn't thought of Ebay, but I'll check there.

We just purchased 3 Sony DCR-TRV350's.  It may sound kind of crazy but we
bought them on E-Bay and saved a ton of money.  You have to be careful
though - make sure the video camera's have USA warranties!!!  Did you know
that virtually all the consumer camcorders automatically shut off after
several minutes if not used.  It can be a pain sometimes.  Of course they
don't shut of if you are recording.

The 350's are a bigger model.  We felt they would be a bit more stable on
tripods than the mini cameras.  Although I wouldn't mind a mini for the
kids to use for roaming reporter type stories.

A lot of educators in California use Canons. Personally, I love Sonys. I
get the ones with Hi-8 tape, not the mini-DVs (although I do have one in
case I need that format). I like the bigger ones, not the small handhelds.
Keep them on tripods when students use them. Tripods are recommended by all
professionals and they help the shots even if you do have the motion
suppression (the correct name escapes me at this moment). Also helps the
kids from breaking them. The little ones are just too small for me. Both
Hi-8 and mini-DV tapes record for an hour. I love the pop-out lcds and get
larger ones if I can afford. You might look at color viewfinders if
students are shooting outdoors. Outdoors you can't usually use the LCD
because of light reflection, if you have a black and white viewfinder,
sometimes it is confusing. I did analog video for 5 years for daily
announcements at my old middle school - I'm the school ibrarian. I also
teach at Chapman University and in one of my classes we do digital video so
I have 4 Sonys to loan to students and we do iMovie. I also have Pinnacle 8
for the PC. Hope this info helps.

Two years ago I wrote a grant and was able to get a Canon Digital Camcorder.
It's easy to use, compact, good video. So far, no problems with it.

David Lininger, kb0zke
LMS, Hickory County R-1 Schools
Urbana, MO 65767
mailto: tss003@mail.connect.more.net