The books assigned for summer reading in my school are tied to the
curriculum.
The language arts teachers select books that correlate with the social
studies curriculum.
Each grade level list includes books that are at the reading level of
all students (special education included). Each year
the lists are evaluated and books are removed and or added.

I find that the students fail the test or do not complete the
assignment, not because they did not like the books, but because
they have NOT read them.

Our school provides the opportunity for students to obtain the books
before they leave school.  A representative from Borders Books
brings books to our school for the students and parents to preview  and
then purchase at a significant discount.  The books are on sale at
least 1 month before school closes.  The parents are pleased with this
service. This has increased the number of students that complete their
summer reading. The books are also available at the local public
libraries and each teacher has several copies in their classroom and
the books are also available in the school library for students that
cannot afford to purchase.

Janis L. Thomas, Librarian
jthomas@chichestersd.org (school)
Chichester School District