My son just started high school so I asked him for his reading list of this
semester. (I just started as a high school library media teacher but my school
is embarking on the small school reform movement, turning itself into 6
smaller autonomous interconnected schools so NO ONE has a list of anything…
yet). These are some of the titles Berkeley High (CA) are reading (I didn’t
include Shakespeare or other common titles like Catcher in the Rye)

The Color of Water : a Black man's tribute to his white mother by James
McBride. (1996)
An African-American male tells of his mother, a white woman, who refused to
admit her true identity.

Night by Elie Wiesel ; translated from the French by Stella Rodway ; foreword
by Francois Mauriac ; preface for the twenty-fifth anniversary edition by
Robert McAfee Brown. (1986)
A true account of the author's experiences as a Jewish boy with his family in
a Nazi concentration camp.

My wicked, wicked ways by Sandra Cisneros. (1992)
Collection of verses by the author that are comic and sad, rising like songs
from the hearts of men and women.

Red Azalea by Anchee Min. (1995)
A memoir from a one-time supporter of the Maoist regime who experienced life
in China as a member of the communist party and as a political prisoner on a
labor farm.

The titles nominated for the Young Adult category of the California Young
Reader Medal are Razzle by Wittlinger, Ties that Bind, Ties that Break by
Namioka, and Whale Talk by Crutcher.

Becca Todd, LMT
Fremont Federation of High Schools
Oakland, CA