Here is a summary of the information I got re: all the messages popping up
on the desktop.

Detailed responses follow.

If the messages are grey boxes, they may be Windows Messenger popups -

Some people said this doesn't effect Windows 98 computers though.

Messenger service can be disabled in  W2000 and WXP (ask a computer
guru).(see below)

If they are not the grey boxes (as mine weren't), people suggested:

installing and running an updated spybot (free download)
installing and using the Google Toolbar that was mentioned a couple of
months back.  (The person who suggested it said it worked for her even when
the browser wasn't up, i.e., when you're not on the internet and the popups
appear on the desktop).

I installed the Google Toolbar and so far, so good. I'm waiting to see what
happens when the students arrive on Monday and start using the computers.

detailed responses:

These MAY be from the Messenger program.
Try (for XP)

1. Right-click My Computer and choose Manage.
2. Choose Service and Applications and click Services.
3. Double-click the Messenger entry.
4. Choose Disable as the Startup type.
5. Click Stop and click Apply.

You can check the Dependencies to see if it is needed for a program you run.
And you can undo it if something stops working also.

There is a sample and directions for other OS versions at
http://www.dvdsqueeze.com/windowsmessage.htm

This is information from a recent thread on EdTech. The Subject was 'Re:
Free Popup Blocker w/Google Toolbar - opinions?' if you want to read the
whole thing.  Archives at http://www.h-net.org/~edweb/

If the messages are basically little grey boxes, they might be caused by
the Windows messaging service.  It is a built in service that allows the
system administrator to send messages to everyone, but it also lets
anyone on the internet send messages.  I followed instructions on
disabling it from a computer guru who writes a weekly column for our
local newspaper.  He is very good.  I followed to procedure for my
Windows XP and it worked great.  Alas, as I read over his directions I
see something that does not bode well for you as a Windows 98 user.  He
says that in Windows 95, 98, 98SE and ME, Windows Messenger SErvice
cannot be disabled.  GRRRRR!  Perhaps someone else will have some ideas
for you.  We have Windows 98 on our machine - but do not have the
problem.  Perhaps our network system (Novell) blocks them somehow.  Do
you have a network admin to help you out?

Are they gray popups?  What has happened is that you are on a network with
your computers running all the time and the popups that you are getting are
messages from Windows Messaging.  I had this problem at home because I use a
cable modem and my computer is on the internet every time it is on.
Installing a firewall solves the problem.

You probably need to talk with your computer technicians about making sure
that there is a firewall installed on your network.  Popups stoppers don't
solve this problem because it is not associated with stopping popups on a
web browser.  I asked the Gateway technician about this and was told that
the code for these popups is so deep in the operating system that it is
easier to install a firewall than to try to delete the program.