I apologize if this is a second posting.  Something was up with our
email yesterday - and I think my first attempt did not go through.

I do not know the answer to Shonda's questions re pricing - but I
thought I would voice my own feelings about the cost of ELibrary.  First
of all, let me say that I DO like the product - especially since it is
one database that our students really like to use - and will often go to
without prompting.  Now that I have praised the product - it is time to
rant about the unfairness of thier pricing.  We used to be a grade 6-12
school.  At that time, I was able to subscribe to it for the MIDDLE
SCHOOL price of around $1500.   The high school price was $2500 - even
though it is the SAME PRODUCT.  Now we have split into 2 buildings.  Of
course I know that 2 buildings means 2 subscriptions.  But - now we have
to pay $4000 for the same number of students - $1500 for the Middle
School and $2500 for the High School.  That is more than double the
price!  Unfair!

I feel that databases should be priced according to the number fo
students in your building - not the age of the students!  I could see
pricing by grade level if the products were designed for the different
age levels.  But E-Library is the same for both levels.  Very unfair.  I
hope there is someone from Proquest "lurking".  I have shared my
displeasure over this - but they feel that they are being fair.

By the way - the prices I quoted are only approximate prices.  I
believe they are actually quite a bit higher now. These are the prices
that I recall from the  year we opened the high school.

Bottom line - I am NOT subscribing next year.  I am going with Gale
instead.

Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way."

From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)