My original post:
I am using Touching Spirit Bear with a 7th/8th
grade guys' book club.  I have been told by several
people that this book is based on real life
experience of a juvenile delinquent who was
"sentenced" through "circle justice" to a similar
survival challenge.  I have found plenty of
information about how Native American Circle
Justice has been used in numerous places . . . but
I can't find documentation of an instance where a
youth was required to survive on his own.

Several people said that Mikaelsen visited their
schools.  All raved about him, and they all
suggested I write him directly, using the e-mail on
his website.  I did, but I have yet to receive a
response.  I understand that he usually tours while
Buffy, his pet bear, is hibernating.  I will post
another hit when I hear from him.

*************************
"We had Mikaelsen visit our school last year.  Spirit
Bear is based partly on fact, and he had seen the
Spirit Bear himself."

*************
Sandy Grasfield found a fascinating article in Time
(September 12, 1994, v 144 n11 p74).  It tells about
a man who posed as a Tlingit tribal judge and
suggested  banishment.  It was a hoax.  The Tlingit
organization disassociated itself from this case.
An expert on Native Alaskan heritage says that
banishment is not part of Tlingit culture.

***********************

"In the late 90s an Indian youth horribly beat and
robbed a pizza delivery man in Washington state.
Those youths were given over to the Indian tribes
who sentenced them to a survive on your own type
punishment.  They were taken to separate islands
off the coast of British Columbia.  Not sure where it
went from there, nor how long they stayed out or
what their outcome was."

***********************
"According to Ben during a literature conference,
he was air traveling to a school presentation and
happened to sit next to a Native American who
worked on the island and shared similar stories.
When Ben said he'd love to visit the island, the
man said Ben was welcome to come with him
right then.  Ben hesitated and stated he had other
commitments.  The man shrugged and said that it
must not have been very important to Ben then.
When they departed from the plane, Ben went to
the phone and called his school to see if he could
change things, returned to the Native American
and went with him to the island.  I got the
impression that several juvenile delinquents have
been to this island as a consequence. "

So many folks wrote to ask about how I structure
my book clubs that I decided to respond to the
group.  It will be posted as HIT:  MS Book Clubs.  I
will send it immediately after I send this one.
Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond
to my query.

Sandra Lingo, Librarian
Delhi Middle School
5280 Foley Road