I appreciate so much the responses, thank you.  Below is a hit.  BTW, we
met yesterday and used much of the information I gathered from this group.
I chuckled to myself when the issue of students and flip flops came up
because a young teacher on the staff wanted to know if that meant teachers
could not wear flipflops.  Isn't it interesting how things have changed, I
remember when hose, heels, and dresses were what we wore and how exciting
it was when we were permitted to wear "pant suits", not pants and a top,
but a two piece outfit.  Some of what I see teachers wear is entirely too
casual, in my opinion.

***
Our dress code is pretty simple: no bare midriffs, no spaghetti straps, no
see-thru tops, no hats in the building, no advertising illegal substances.
If a teacher thinks something is inappropriate the student is sent to the
office for a ruling. Generally, if someone is sent to the office they are
told to cover up/change the offending item.

***
.our girls wear their tops up so their midriff shows, then when
you send them to discipline, they pull them down and come back saying, "See
I told you it is appropriate."  They slide it right back up!
UGH

***This is what our student handbook says:
Personal appearance says much about the attitude and behavior of an
individual.  For this reason, appropriate dress and good grooming are very
important.  Students are encouraged to dress comfortably and cleanly.  Since
the attire of students is important to the overall school image, any
clothing insignia or saying which is inappropriate for an educational
environment may not be worn.  Students representing CHS in activities,
events, or competitions are subject to individual dress codes established by
the director or coach of the activity.
  Hair styles that create problems of health and sanitation, obstruct
vision, or are designed to call undue attention to the individual are not
accepted.  Extremes in dress and grooming which would cause disruption in
classes or school activities will not be permitted.  Shorts that are
designed for dress are acceptable in warm weather, but should not be worn
during winter months.  No biking shorts, short shorts, cutoffs, see-through
shirts, backless tops, halter tops, midriff tops, or chains are acceptable.
Shoes must always be worn.  Students will be asked to return home to make
necessary changes and will be considered tardy.  Coats should not be worn in
the classroom unless a teacher gives permission for special circumstances.
  Personal grooming and dress are primarily matters of concern between the
students and their parents.  It becomes a concern of the school, however,
when grooming and dress patterns create a disruptive influence upon the
educational program of the school, or when the health or safety of the
student body is affected.  The school board encourages the students to use
sound judgment in dress and grooming.
  Articles of clothing or decorations that advertise or promote the use of
tobacco, alcohol, or other drugs may not be worn at school.  T-shirts or
other items of clothing that contain lurid or sexually suggestive statements
will not be allowed.  Clothing of this type is considered a form of sexual
harassment and shall be a violation of school policy.  Students wearing
clothing of this type will be asked to change their clothing, cover it or
remove the item in question.  Caps will not be allowed in the classroom at
anytime during the school day.  Repeated offenses will result in
disciplinary action such as detention or suspension.

***

We are starting a voluntary optional dress code tomorrow. This came because
2 sophomores petitioned the administration about our current dress code -
they think the students look sloppy.

Currently- the students wear Kearney blue polos, dress pants, dress shoes,
belts - both male and female
no sneaks, boots, sandals, etc.

Starting tomorrow - we are trying (with 10,11,12 grades only)
 dress shirt - buttoned down, tie to neck, dress pants, belt, dress shoes.
(men)
dress blouse tucked in or blouse with hem to hipbone worn out, pants or
skirt, dress shoes, belt, if pants. (females)

no earrings for men, no tats for anyone, no wild hair colors or hairdo

After the month- the student council will meet with the administration and
determine if this will be the new code. We went with the polo shirts as it
was a constant fight to get the boys to tuck in the shirt, and pull tie up
and we fought with the girls about skirt length. Many of the students
believe it is worth the fight...wish the faculty would get on board as well.
(can you tell I am fighting for the new code?).

***

    You are welcome to look at my county's dress code.  It was redone about
2 years ago after a brief discussion of  uniforms. You can find it at
http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/web/DressCode.htm

***
 Last year the MCS school board instituted a student uniform policy.  Pants
may only be black, blue, navy or tan/khaki.  Shirts are white (with a
collar).  Schools may select a second color for a top.  No jeans of any
color.

***

I think the key in being able to enforce student dress codes is to be
sure that the dress code isn't too "nitpicky."

Also, who is supposed to enforce the code?  What happens to staff
members if they fail to send a student who is dressed inappropriately to
the office?  Some people (like me) don't notice what kids are wearing.

***

Dress Code Violation

Student ________________________________            Date_______________

This student is in violation of the Dress Code standards as set forth in the
ILHS Student Handbook.

_______Immodest dress, disruptive to the learning process

_______Hat, hood or head covering worn in school

_______Clothing displaying inappropriate words or pictures ("alcoholic
beverages or other drugs, violence, obscenities or overt/covert sexual
reference" ILHS Student Handbook)

_______Shorts/skirts above the mid-thigh

_______Other

Explanation_________________________________________________________________
_____________________________

Referring Teacher:_____________________________________________

I have corrected the violation and I understand that this referral for a
dress code noncompliance is my:

______ 1st Warning only

______ 2nd Violation (Detention)

______ Further disciplinary consequence will be scheduled

_____________________            ______________________
_____________________

Student Signature                    Administrative Signature
Date

***
Our dress code works very well:
Boys must wear shirts that button down front with ties, dress pants with
belt, dress shoes and socks. No logos on shirts or sweaters (except for some
small unobtrusive ones), plain sweaters. They may wear school sweater during
winter.  From Aug. to Oct. 1 and from May 1 to end of school, they may wear
polo type shirts and cotton pants with belts.  On Dress Down Days, they may
wear school t-shirts/sweatshirts and casual pants but no jeans.  Sport shoes
are not permitted.
We have one day that is an exception to the above: on our annual Cardinal
Walk and Circus Day (This is a day in May when students walk three miles to
raise money for our scholarship funds by soliciting pledges for each mile
walked. We also that day have games and music). On this day they may wear
t-shirts and shorts and sport shoes.

At no time are any offensive or suggestive designs ever allowed.

Boys must have hair above the collar in a conservative haircut, no hair dye,
no visible tattoos, no jewelry except class rings. Also, pants must be at
waist - no low-riders.

We are a private, all boys college prep grades 9-12.

***

Judy Owen, Librarian
Dyersburg Intermediate School
Dyersburg, TN