It is amazing how librarians and our work seem to surprise me constantly.
Today I received a call from an elementary school librarian who asked for my
suggestions concerning a good book for a 5th grade girl to read.  The girl's
mother had approached the librarian and told her about her son ( a 16yr high
school boy in the same district) who had just "come out" to her. She wanted
to find some books with positive gay  male characters suitable for a 5th
grader.

I knew of many YA titles and some elementary titles but nothing came to mind
for a 5th grader. It is the mother's hope that this would generate
conversation between her and the daughter and she could then discuss the
brother's gayness in a positive manner. How weird ( or not so weird - God
has a great sense of humor) that this should occur during this thread.

I called the Gay Alliance and found the mother had already contacted them
about her son joining the Youth Group. I gave the Alliance the librarian's
phone number and the youth coordinator is going to suggest some titles for
her.

Allan

Dr. Allan O'Grady Cuseo (Brother Donogh Allan, MGC)
Bishop Kearney High School Library
125 Kings Highway South
Rochester, New York 14617

585-342 -4000 x231
585-342- 4694  (FAX)

acuseo@bkhs.org

Education in the tradition of the Christian Brothers
FAC OMNIA BENE (Do all things well)

Bless the work.
Bless the day.
Come to aid us.