Recently I posted a question about Touching Spirit
Bear, a book I am reading with my All Guys Book
Club.  So many people wrote asking me about how
I structure my book clubs, I'll post my answer as a
HIT.

You may want to check out this article that was
published in the Cincinnati Enquirer about my
book clubs.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/03/29/loc_l
oc3book.html

I have two book clubs at each grade level (6 - 8),
one for boys and one for girls.  Sometimes I mix
two groups as I did with Touching Spirit Bear (7th &
8th grade All Guys Book Clubs) and Among the
Hidden (8th Grade All Gals and 8th Grade All Guys
Book Clubs).  We usually meet 3 - 4 times about
each book, after school, for lunch, breakfast, or
dinner.  It never takes class time.  I provide lots of
food, and the l.a. teachers give extra credit if the
kids participate and I say they read the book.
Parents, grandparents, siblings, teachers, and
neighborhood friends of the same gender are
invited.  I am funded by grants, anonymous
donations, area businesses, and my own bank
account.   Refreshments drain the budget pretty
fast.  Next year I will work harder to get restaurants
and groceries to donate food.  I buy books with the
grant funds, but I also get teacher's collections
from the public library, or I'd go broke.  I often have
25 - 30 kids in a group.

In the meetings, we read portions out loud, often
using Reader's Theater strategies, we discuss
using guides I create, check out the author's and
related websites, e-mail the author.

Here are the books we read:
6th grade All Gals--Getting Near to Baby, Because
of Winn-Dixie, Ruby Holler, Ella Enchanted

6th Grade All Guys Book Club--Joey Pigza
Swallowed the Key, Joey Pigza Loses Control

7th Grade All Gals--Graduation of Jake Moon, Don't
You Dare Read This, Mrs. Dunphrey, Fat Chance

7th/8th Grade All Guys Book Club--Monster,
Hatchet, Guts, Touching Spirit Bear

8th Grade All Guys Book Club--Among the Hidden,
Tears of a Tiger

8th Grade All Gals Book Club--Define Normal,
Speak, Tears of a Tiger, Forged by Fire

Sandra Lingo, Librarian
Delhi Middle School
5280 Foley Road