Hmmm...we have to contend with hats, hoods, and walkmans and we have a
school uniform policy.  It's amazing how many variations of a uniform theme
we see each day in the hallways.

As for faculty attire, I received a sarcastic email off list yesterday about
my comments about wearing panty hose.  As I thought about it, I realized
that "dressing professionally" is carried out differently in every work
place due to many circumstances.

I work in a very low economic area and wearing power suits, pumps, and yes
even pantyhose is not generally done except for administration.  I dress
professionally but not in the power suit way.  When it is so important to be
able to make some sort of contact with the students, to be the best role
model I can be...dressing professionally with power suits can be very
intimidating to the students.

This building that I work in, though recently renovated, has A/C glitches.
Sometimes in the hot months, the A/C works and sometimes it doesn't.
Knowing that the A/C and heating is glitchy at best, we have had to adjust
our wardrobe accordingly.  On hot summer days, with barely any A/C, can make
pantyhose a modern day torture device.

As professionals, just as we all have similar though different criteria for
determining budgets, purchases, schedules, and procedures, we all have
different criteria for determining what is "professional" for our campus.
None is more correct than the other, just more appropriate.

Thanks for letting me express my opinions.

Linda Gottman
Librarian
Edgewood Academy
San Antonio, Texas