Thank you to all that replied...this is long.
Lisa Salowich
WSU LIS student
lsalowich@comcast.net

The number of subscriptions I have has dropped significantly,
but I still feel magazines serve an important purpose both for research and
reading stimulation.  It is currently about 15% of my library budget.  I have
included an attachment that shows you my current subscriptions.  Some of the
magazines are ones that I donate to the collection
Magazines by Category
Agriculture
Farming

Animals
Animal Times
Horse Illustrated

Automotive
Car & Driver
Circle Track
Hot Rod
Motor Trend
Off Road
Stock Car Racing
Super Street

Culture/Commentary
Mother Jones
National Geographic
Smithsonian
The World & I

Families
Good Housekeeping
Parents

General Interest
People
Self

Health
Health
Psychology Today

History
American History
American Legacy

Humor/Satire
Funny Times
Mad

Hunting
Bowhunter
Field & Stream
Outdoor Life

Miscellaneous

Amnesty Now
Popular Mechanics
Teach Tolerance

Music
Guitar
Rolling Stone

Nature/Wildlife
American Forests
Audubon
Forest Magazine
International Wildlife
National Wildlife
New York State
    Conservationist
Wilderness Way

News
Newsweek
Time
U. S. News & World
    Report

Science
Discover
Popular Science

Sports/Recreation
American Cheerleader
ATV Four Wheel
    Action
Bicycling
BMX Plus
Cycle World
Dirt Bike
Dirt Wheels
Motocross Action
Mountain Bike
Radio Control Car
    Action
Ride BMX
Runner's World
Ski
Snowmobile
Sports Illustrated
Transworld
    Skateboarding
Transworld
    Snowboarding
Wrestling USA

Teens (female)
Seventeen
YM

During this past year, I have been in National Board Certification process for
library media.  As a result of this process, I have examined my practices
closely, especially regarding knowledge of students and local curriculum.

I think your question needs to be examined in light of your school's curriculum
and how many periodical subscriptions are available on line.  In the past year I
have visited several other facilities and garnered that most of them are using
the online subscriptions with the exception of popular culture magazines.  The
kids just aren't using the print copies any more except for pleasure reading.

The exception would be if your teachers require reports or projects with visual
images such as posters, timelines, etc.  Then, you would need to keep your print
copies are the majority of online articles don't contain photographs.

Perhaps you could survey your faculty members regarding this matter as well as
the students and obtain their input before making a final decision.

Deborah Maehs, LMS
Kingfisher Middle School LMC
I spend approximately $20,000 on books, $10,000 on online resources
and $2,000 on magazines (print, since the online includes Proquest).
For us, it's important to have the basic news and science magazines:
E.g., U.S News and world report, Newsweek, Time, etc.
and Scientific american, Pop science, Discover, etc.

I also like a browsing collection, particularly for the lunch and study
crowds.
We carry Dirt wheels, Radio control car action, Radio control boat
modeler,
Hunting, Outdoor life, Gamepro and a number of others.  We circulate all
but
the newest of each.

Others include YM, Teen people, Girls life, Entertainment weekly.

For the staff, favorites are Oprah, Real simple and This old house.

If you would like a list of all our magazines, let me know, and I'll send
it on.

Peggy Owens
I don't subscribe to ANY research magazines.  All of the magazines I buy are for
browsing.  I try to get a wide range that will appeal to all of out students.  I
get several car, gaming, skateboarding, sports, fashion, and entertainment
magazines.  I do get a few "educational" magazines such as Scientific American,
Time, and Newsweek, Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, etc.  The kids do
sometimes browse them and the teachers come in asking about the "most recent
Time magazine."  I have eliminated all of the magazines that no one read,
including making the bold move to eliminate National Geographic.  When the
school year ends, we throw away all of the magazines from the previous year.
This way we only have 2 years worth at a time in case people want to browse
through back issues. We don't need magazines for research because have the
online databases

I'm in a high school of about 875 students. I
currently have a budget of $525 per year which is down
considerably from previous years. (This is only my
second year and it has been the same for two years but
was more than double that before me. Indiana budgets
are a mess right now.) I do subscribe to popular
magazines as well as those for research. We have YM,
Seventeen, Teen People, Teen vogue, ESPN, Sports
Illus. Outdoor Life, Muscle and Fitness, Skateboarder,
Car and Driver, Motor Trend and Campus Life as our
pleasure reading magazines.
Hope this helps
Cynthia Jones
I spend about 1500 on magazines.  I have a joint use library - a HS and
a community library.  We get the big three for research - US news,
Newsweek, and Time.  Have donated 23 titles these are all recreational
titles.  Try and spread others around - science, health, consumerism,
homemaking, sports, pop cultural -like people, ethnic like Ebony and
Jet, etc.   AI use three jobbers to try and find the best prices. ( this
includes my newspapers)  When I first started out they had to be indexed
in Readers Guide. With periodical databases - no longer required.  Tend
to get the hard copies of a lot of recreational periodicals because I
have 2 periodical databases.

Shirley Yeries
Budget  $!500
Student population  300

I have been switching away from research type publications over the past couple
of

years, except for teachers.  Students wil hardly use magazine articles even if
you
put it in their hands.  I have been focusing on popular reading for students.  I
have a
huge problem with the articles and ads in YM, 17, etc.  I have picked up Health,
Self
but even some of the ads I deem inappropriate.  Teen Guideposts has been
popular, Anything with cars & trucks for the guys.
Good luck with your assignment.

don

Don Pippin, Librarian
Crystal City Sr. High School
I have 2,000 to spend, a situation I expect to end every year.  I think it was
put in place
when periodicals were neccessary for research. Now they do that with Electirc
Library
but I don't think the budget cutters have put that together yet.

Anyway, YM, Elle Girl, Seventeen, Electronic Gaming Monthly, Car and Driver
Computer
Gaming Monthly, ESPN, Mad, USA Today,all get heavy use:

I also have Wired, Time, US News, Smithsonian, Popular Science and the
Christian Science

Monitor.  These are not used as much.  Sports Illustrated is hardly picked up
at all.  Maybe
they all get it at home.

Renee Roth
We are a college prep, all male high school.  Our periodical collection is
strictly a browsing collection.  For all research needs our students use
Academic ASAP and other Gale products.

I subscribe to about 25 magazines for varying interests ranging from news
magazines to Golf, Popular Science, and Snowboarding.  We discard most of
the magazines after one year; I do keep for five years to indefinitely
research oriented magazines or journals requested by teachers (Psychology
Today, Atlantic Monthly, American Heritage, and such.)

Hope this helps.

Vondra Shaw Abbott

I spend about $1600 on magazines. The state of Wisconsin
provides us with access to EBSCO host. My students, staff
and I use EBSCO for research purposes. The majority of the
magaaine budget goes towards magazines for pleasure reading,

although I do subscribe to the "standard" magazines like
Time and Newsweek, as well as magazines that teachers
request we order for their students to use. If we didn't
have free access to something like EBSCO I wouldn't be able
to spend as much on magazines for pleasure reading. We also
subscribe to SIRS. One of our school's goals is to increase
the reading test scores. The magazines are read by students.
The attachment is a list of our magazines. I hope that this
helps.

I decreased this year's subscriptions and ended up spending
less than ever before -- about $400 -- partly because of the
lack of money, but also because (1) they are not that widely
used (we do not have captive lunch in my school), and (2)
because so much is available online (even though we don't
have tons of computers). Historically, the periodicals were
not used on any consistent, regular basis, so I decided that
was where I had to cut.

However, I have found that the students will pick up and

browse through Sports Illustrated, Rolling Stone and
Seventeen. They do like those three in particular. I also
subscribe to Scientific American, Science News, National
Geographic (and NG Kids - we are also a middle school), the
Advocate (which the students sometimes look at), African
American Review (more for the teachers, who have asked for it
but rarely look at it!), American History, People in Spanish,
Smithsonian, The Nation, Utne Reader, Newsweek, and U.S. News
and World Report.

Hope that helps.
Colette Lageoles
NYC

We spend about $1500 out of an $8000 budget on hard copies of mags (this
doesn't include our databases).  Our magazines include: National Geographic,
Rolling Stone, Newsweek, Macleans (Canadian news magazine), Transworld
Skateboarding and Transworld Snowboarding, YM, Sports Ill., People and
Reader's Digest in Spanish, Geo (French geography mag), Claremont Review
(literary mag), Writers Digest, Climbing, Native People, Psychology Today,

Flare, Fashion, Okapi (French teen mag), Science Digest, PC Magazine, Hot
Rod, Adbusters (our most popular magazine) and a number of others that I
can't think of off the top of my head.  Hope this helps.

  Diane Gallagher-Hayashi

I have several periodical databases with so much in full text that I
have cut way back on research periodicals.  I keep Psychology Today and
Health, because students like to browse through it for ideas for thier
psych/soc classes and health classes.  I keep Business week because the
economics teacher wants them to browse for articles and write up
summaries.  Other than that - I have Time, because every library should
have a news magazine that can be read from cover-to-cover and a few
others.  Most of my periodical money goes into subscriptions to
encourage busy students to read SOMETHING (besides the internet) for
fun!  So - I get CosmoGilr, ESPN, Transworld Snowboarding and other
popular titles.  I determined which ones to get via a student survey.

The English teachers allowed the kids time in class to complete the
surveys.  We spend about $1800.  Might have to reduce that depending on
budget.

Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way."

From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03
Jacquie Henry, MLS