It will work if the prince patrols the halls and sees
that it works.  May need to speak to some teachers,
call them in and emphasize the importance of being a
team player. We do it here for 30 minutes twice a week
on Tu and Th.  Periods are shortened/adjusted and all
classes meet.

Our school follows AR guidelines-, K-8 school our reading time is first
thing in the morning--every morning from 8:00 to 8:30 everyday, teachers
love it, students have accountability for reading--AR tests and students are
loving reading at our school.  Classes start out calm and quite, teachers
have time to model reading or handle morning logistics or AR managment
logistics We tried it last period last year for middle school only (because
that schedule is a bit different) not as successful in middle school, age
and attention span (ha) a factor.

We began our silent school-wide reading time about 3 years ago and love
it (students and teachers)! We convinced our asst. principal (who does the
school-wide scheduling) to change our class schedules to build this time
into our day. We have 35 minutes of sustained silent reading EVERY morning
from 8-8:35 across the whole school. We do it right after Channel I, the
morning "Words of Wisdom," and brief birthday announcements. It starts
everyone's day off to a calm, enjoyable start. The students know to have
their library books ready to read. It is a success because the principal and
asst. principal totally support this time (and respect it), and the teachers
have been educated to its importance (although they already believe in it).
We noticed that our discipline problems seemed to drop, also, so there are
several unexpected advantages to this program.
We love it!

We have done DEAR in my K-4 school for about five years now - long
enough that I can't remember exactly! It is done for 20 minutes every
day, though not all classes do it at the same time. Some do it in the
morning as students are coming in, some do it right after lunch
recess to settle everyone down, some do it mid morning. As far as I
know there is good compliance, though the teachers have a tendency to
use that time for grading papers or seeing students rather than
reading themselves. I never get DEAR  :-(  because it doesn't happen
when classes are in the library.

About 20 years ago - when I was in another school, we had DEAR in the HS
(grades 9-12) once a week - I think it was for 20 minutes to a half an hour.
The schedule HAD TO ROTATE through the school day to make things fair.
Otherwise classes during the DEAR time really got hammered and would
complain.  It was really neat because everyone read -- the administration,
secretaries, teachers and students.

We have used it at our high school.  No you do not get everyone to participate.
There are always some teachers who don't buy in.  First make sure
your principal
believes in this and makes the teachers take part.    Next get short
articles about the
importance and workability of this program to your teachers.

--
Beverly Nelson
Media Generalist