First of all, change her title to "assistant librarian"...either formally or
through all correspondence and through personal reference to her.  In
addition, ask to write a job description for her....what are her duties as
"the assistant librarian?"  Your principal should allow you to do this if
you include the fact that you can later use the criteria to evaluate her /
or allow the principal to evaluate--if no one knows what she is "supposed to
be doing" then it's hard to say if she's been doing her job correctly,
right?

Once the job description has been written and her title has been changed,
the "copy girl" situation is something that should be handled by the
principal---since you've changed your assistance's job duties to reflect the
work that she does in the library and NOT what she used to do in other areas
of the school, then it creates a situation that requires the principal to
tell the teachers to take time to do their own copying OR require him to
hire someone to replace your assistant--if he even wants to go that route.
(Do you have a copy machine in your library that teachers can access / use
for making classroom copies?  If not, you might want to ask if one of the
copy machines can be moved to the library for teachers to use---put it in a
storage room or in an area that will not generate noise levels that disturb
everyone.)  This will allow you to get teachers into the library while they
are making copies for classes, provide them with the opportunity to see
everything that YOU do in the library and allow them to see what your
assistant is doing to help you build the library program.  Later, the
accessibility of the copy machine will become a convenience factor as you
begin to collaborate with your teachers---while you're working with their
students on specific library instruction, the teacher is "very near" to be
available to assist / instruct BUT is able to make copies of materials for
students, if needed.)

In addition, I would make sure that you do show your principal the
guidelines regarding the staffing of high school libraries (depending upon
your school's size) AND include the fact that when you are hired to be the
professional, it means that you should spend as much time as possible
working with both the teachers and the students in creating / building a
library program.

Granted, as a new librarian, you will be viewed as a "go-getter" or a
"cart-upsetter" depending upon the reception from the groups, but what you
have been taught through your MLIS program are the standards that are
required to develop good library programs.  You will need to have your
assistant full-time in order to provide outstanding service throughout the
day and you will probably need to work directly with your teachers and your
principal throughout the year in order to create the awareness of what you
are doing and how your work affects (positively) everyone else.  You may not
get your assistant as a full-time person right away, but as you continue
through the year to build support for the library program through your work
with teachers, remind them to support your efforts to create a full-time
library program through the placement of a full-time assistant.  Many will
suddenly realize that if you were ONLY available during that "second half of
the day," then you could also show their afternoon classes the amazing
things that you shared with their morning classes (or whatever system
happens to be going on).

 I believe that once they realize that a collaborative teaching-librarian
will increase their students' abilities to utilize resources in the library,
then they will also realize that a full-time assistant who is able to handle
the circulation desk while you work with their students can actually reduce
their workload AND allow them to do things like...make their own copies?
Because of the collaborative efforts between the librarian and the teacher,
the workload has been shared, students become users of information, and the
library functions effectively because of the fantastic new librarian and her
full-time library assistant!

Just an idea...good luck!!

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian