Netters,
A friend of mine is trying to recall the title of a book. Her email to me
read as follows:

"I remember a boy meeting a large Phoenix and the adventures they had
together. I believe the Phoenix taught the boy how to be a better
person, moral issues and all that - (similar to the theme of the phantom
tollbooth but a bit different). At the end, the Phoenix dies by burning
itself in a large bonfire and from the ashes comes a new little bird,
which the boy befriends and lets fly away to freedom. It's a very sad
and happy ending.

I think this book was read to me by a teacher when I was in 3rd or 4th
grade. Since I am 50 now, this puts it back to the early 1960's."

Thank you in advance,
Nancy

Nancy Riemer Kellner, MLIS
Librarian, Marguerite E. Peaslee School