I was just told at 2:00 Friday before the beginning of school today that =
my library would be the main base of operations for afterschool.  That =
means as many as 25 kids from first-fifth grade will be in my library =
under the supervision of one adult.  There are many nooks and crannies =
due to the design of the library which makes constant supervision =
difficult even in classroom situations. Without new furniture, there is =
not much I can do with design. =20

Afterschool used the library prior to last year, I got them out for a =
year, and now they are back again.

I was ready to "pitch a fit" (calmly, of course), but I after a weekend =
of thinking, 1) I realize it will not change and 2) I will alienate six =
or seven people. =20

Since I am powerless to do anything, what do some of you do about this =
situation?  I wouldn't mind so much if there were academic type =
activities as there is a modicum of control, but afterschool although =
some structured activities, is mostly free play.

Problems I have previously encountered are:  games, pieces left out, =
Legos hidden for another day in the shelves, belongings left behind, =
stickiness from snack time.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.  This is my first post, so I am =
anxious to see how this works.

Robin Chandler
Media (PreK-8th grade)
rchandler@immac.org