Dear LM_Netters:

I wrote asking for Web sites where students could find pictures that are
appropriate for use in a K-12 school.  Here are the responses I received.  Thanks
to everyone for the useful sites:

+++++++

Our filter blocks Google images because of that very reason.

+++++++

If there are more than 17,000 on this listserv, wish PMilbury would
write for all of us to ask Google and Yahoo to provide a "scholarly /
academic" edition of the images for all of our students in public and
private schools.  If we have so many across the world, do you think this
is possible.  We have not had problems with this until recent weeks.

++++++++++

The search engine "Dogpile"  (www.dogpile.com) has an adult filter in
its preference menu, which is supposed to filter out things like you are
getting.  You do have to set the filter on each computer.  There is an
Images section on it.

Also, if you use unitedstreaming, they have an extensive image gallery
and encourage students to use their site.  My worry is that students
will become preoccupied with downloading -- or streaming -- video clips.
 Not that those are bad, but they eat up the Internet bandwidth.

There is also the Microsoft online gallery.

+++++++

You can set "safe search" on Google images to screen  most
questionable images.  Of course, the kids can turn it off, but I check the
settings often to make sure they are on safe search.  It does help,  good
luck.

+++++++++

Have you activated the filters in Google?  It made a big difference for
us. They are about midway down the Preferences page.

++++++++

Have you tried using Google images in safe mode? By default, the
filter is set for medium--safe is much safer!

+++++++
I direct the students to use the global part of clip art.  There they
can select pictures, or whatever type of clip art they want.

++++++

http://www.shambles.net/image_search/

+++++++++

The tech4learning.com website has lots of images you might try.
http://amitybjhs.tripod.com/sound.htm

+++++++

www.alltheweb.com

I have several on my search page. Just go to the web address under my
signature, then click "search" and then click the "search for pictures"
button towards the top of the page.  some of the links may be dead - but
hopefully you will find something of use.
http://www.gananda.org/library/mshslibrary/indexgcl.htm

+++++++

Have you tried http://www.pics4learning.com   ?  It is specifically
designed for use in the classroom, and the images are copyright free as
well.  There are various categories and all are intended for educational use.

+++++++++

The tech4learning.com website has lots of images you might try.

http://www.tasi.ac.uk/resources/searchingresources.html

http://www.bu.edu/library/instruction/findimages/http://www.bu.edu/library/instruction/findimages/

http://www.kidsclick.org/psearch.html

++++++++