Having grown up in a small-town (population 500) with the nearest
"larger town" about 35 miles away....I've learned a few things about
"recreational activities" that are inexpensive and fun! Here are more
than a top 3 list....all of which I have done sometime during my life:

~Reading (books that you wouldn't normally read)
~Writing (things you don't have to submit for publication--your own
ideas, etc.)
~Playing a musical instrument  (don't know how?  Check out a video from
the library or buy one from Amazon.com   ---lots of great "how to play
the...piano, guitar, etc." videos)
~Gardening  (lots of activities now....planning for the spring...)
~Flower arranging
~Scrapbooking
~Take a course online through Barnes & Noble  (great courses that are
free!)
http://university.barnesandnoble.com/index.asp?nhid=bn&userid=of7Q1p8Aii
~Photography--digital photography allows you to see immediately the
results and publish
~Decorating (your house...inside...re-arrange your home....feng shui,
etc.)
~Meditation
~Yoga
~Kick Boxing
~Pilates
~Dog walking
~Cat watching
~Bird watching
~Walking in the park
~Hiking your neighborhood
~Bicycle riding
~Volunteering in nursing homes / homeless centers / battered women's
centers
~Start a club-- play bridge --- play chess--- review books
~Browse the Goodwill or Salvation Army stores---look for things to
"recycle" into new things
~Sew, darn, knit, crochet, quilt
~Join a group that sews, quilts, crochets....churches usually have them
~Take time with a group of children--daycare centers--teach them how to
make things like play dough or read a story to them
~Create puppets (and learn puppetry)
~Learn how to do magic tricks
~Learn how to tell stories (story telling groups may be in your area---)
~Discover a new language that you can't write or speak--learn it
~Browse stores like Hobby Lobby, Michaels or other craft stores--there
are tons of ideas waiting and lots of hobbies that become business
adventures~!
~Landscape your yard---move plants, add shrubs, add mulch
~Learn how to paint (videos and books)
~Learn how to sculpt (classes or videos)
~Learn how to sing (stay away from the bars!)  :)
~Collect things--baskets, buttons, books---look for them
~Antique shopping--what's in your area?
~Swimming (indoors--YMCA or area fitness center)
~Cooking
~Baking
~Cleaning (for some it's relaxing)
~Drawing