Here are the responses I received for help with the history project of comparing a
past historical event with a currnet event.  Thanks to all who repsonded.  My
teacher and I really appreciate it.

How about the internment of Middle Eastern individuals today compared to
the
Japanese-American internment during World War II?

How about the ethnic cleansing in the Balkan countries of the slaughter
in Rwanda
compared to previous holocausts?

How about the totalitarian aspects (no habeas corpus, e. g.-- Homeland
Security, e.g.) of the Bush administration compared to the McCarthy era
(which compares to the Inquisition, Salem witch hunts, etc.)?

How about the suicidal fanatic devotions of some Islamic and Middle
Eastern youth today compared with the kamikaze?

How about the attack on the Coe compared with the attack on the Maine?

Just a few thoughts, perhaps a little too political for junior high.

Our sophomores have been working on a "Making Connections" project that
compares past events to current events. The five topics are:

*  Wahhabism - a religious justification for terrorism
* Taiping Rebellion - Poverty in China
* Sepoy Rebellion - Christianity in India
* Yucatan Caste War - Maya cultural pride
* Alternative visions - people who choose not to support capitalism

Students have to be familiar with their historical topic and then have
to find 2-4 (depending on the teacher) articles published during the
past five years that relate to these historical incidents. We use it as
an opportunity to teach database use, as we have quite a few for the
students to use. Hope this helps!

The Salem Witch Trials and the Red scares of the twenties and fifties.
The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and the U.S. invasion of Iraq

Or Iraq and VietNam?

What about famines in Africa today and the Irish potato famine?
How about Darfur massacres and Cambodia Pot Pol?
What about the genocide in Rwanda and the Holocaust?
What about hostage taking in Iraq and the 72 Olympic hostage standoff?
What about comparing the North Korea Nuclear threat to Hiroshima and
Nagasaki (public perceptions at the time)?
What about comparing current U.S. immigration policy to the policy in
the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Similarities and differences?

Deb Martin, Librarian
Woodlan Jr/Sr High
dmartin@eacs.k12.in.us